It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

Jansen83 HB User
Hair Loss after stopping BC

Hello. I was on birth control for about 10 years, taking generics of Ortho Tri-Cyclen, most recently, Tri-Previfem. I went off the pill this past October... and over the past few weeks I've noticed a great amount of hair loss. It's mostly after I shower and as I'm styling my hair, but it's a lot of hair. A few years back I went through the same thing when I briefly stopped birth control. I ended up going back on it for this exact reason, too much hair loss. I don't want to go back on it this time, as my husband and I are possibly hoping to start a family soon. I asked my doctor about his before I went off the pill, and he suggested taking a multi vitamin. I've been doing that since September, along with taking extra Biotin. Obviously, it's not working. What can I do?? My hair is thin enough without losing all this extra!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Hair Loss after stopping BC

The pill depletes many of your necessary vitamins so it's a good idea to take a good vitamin. You may even want to consider taking a prenatal vitamin because those help your hair and nails to grow. There is also a specific vitamin that I've seen at Walgreens called Hair, Skin and Nails which really helped me with my hair a while ago.

In any case, try taking one of those daily and see how it goes. Hair loss is common after quitting the pill but usually it only lasts like a month or so and then it gets better. However, you were on the pill for a really long time so maybe it might just take your body longer to detox, which is where the extra vitamins might come in handy. Also, try to drink a lot of water and get enough sleep. It sounds so cliche but sometimes that also makes a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
(female)

Jansen83 HB User

Thank you! I sure hope this doesn't last much longer. I've started taking the Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamin twice a day for a total of 3000mcg of Biotin a day. Hopefully that will help. :/

Last edited by Jansen83; 01-19-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
(female)

Jansen83 HB User

Just an update... I went to my gynecologist today and he doesn't agree that the hair loss is related to the pill, so he referred me to a dermatologist. Kind of disappointing because I KNOW it's from the discontinuation of the pill...it has happened to me both times I've tried to go off of it. I'm not sure if I even want to see the dermatologist, because I have a feeling I'll get the same answer.

Last edited by Jansen83; 02-02-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
(female)

angela2785 HB User

The hair loss is happening because of the drop of estrogen in your system. Your body was used to the extra estrogen and estrogen helps keep your hair in the growing phase (why many pregnant women always have thick, beautiful hair). Once the estrogen drops down, the hair goes into the telogen (loss) phase.... also why many women lose hair after they have a baby. It should all even out soon as your body adjusts to the regular amount of hormones in your system... it could take a couple of months, but it will even back out eventually.

Unfortunately, a dermatologist is going to hand you a bottle of rogaine and send you on your way. In my opinion, I wouldn't waste my time or money going to see one. Stay on your vitamins and try not to think about it too much. I know it's hard, but it should get better soon!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
(female)

angela2785 HB User

The hair loss is happening because of the drop of estrogen in your system. Your body was used to the extra estrogen and estrogen helps keep your hair in the growing phase (why many pregnant women always have thick, beautiful hair). Once the estrogen drops down, the hair goes into the telogen (loss) phase.... also why many women lose hair after they have a baby. It should all even out soon as your body adjusts to the regular amount of hormones in your system... it could take a couple of months, but it will even back out eventually.

Unfortunately, a dermatologist is going to hand you a bottle of rogaine and send you on your way. In my opinion, I wouldn't waste my time or money going to see one. Stay on your vitamins and try not to think about it too much. I know it's hard, but it should get better soon!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
(female)

angela2785 HB User

I've been trying to reply to this but it doesn't seem to be working, so if my message appears more than once, i'm sorry

Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
(female)

Jansen83 HB User

Thanks so much for your post. It makes complete and total sense to me.... So WHY can't a doctor explain it? Mine outright denies it had anything to do with the pill. I am hoping it gets back on track soon, but ive read posts from other ladies who said it took up to a year for the shedding to stop. That frightens me because I can't afford to lose all this hair for that long. But it sounds like there's nothing else I can do but wait it out. I know one thing, I will NEVER touch a birth control pill again!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
(female)

angela2785 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jansen83 View Post
Thanks so much for your post. It makes complete and total sense to me.... So WHY can't a doctor explain it? Mine outright denies it had anything to do with the pill. I am hoping it gets back on track soon, but ive read posts from other ladies who said it took up to a year for the shedding to stop. That frightens me because I can't afford to lose all this hair for that long. But it sounds like there's nothing else I can do but wait it out. I know one thing, I will NEVER touch a birth control pill again!
Unfortunately, I have been battling hair loss for the last 20 years so i know WAY more than i should on the subject because i've researched for countless hours. Doctors on the other hand don't know much about it at all because it's not life threatening. They don't understand the emotional toll it takes on women and just dismiss it as not important.

I am actually taking birth control (yasmin) to help control my hair loss. I don't know why I ever started it because I know what's going to happen when i get off of it

I wish you the best of luck with all of this. I know how hard it is, but all you can do is try to accept it and pray for it to be over soon....

Old 02-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
(female)

Jansen83 HB User

I saw a dermatologist Friday. Immediately, she assured me the hair loss was due to the change in hormones in my body from quitting the bc pill. I was relieved for someone to finally admit that fact to me. The bad news is, she basically said I'll just have to wait this out. She pulled on handfuls of my hair and said that it seems like it may be coming to a stop. She instructed me to keep taking Biotin (up to 5000 mcg a day) and Zinc. Thankful for these answers and just hoping it stops SOON.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
(female)

springspring74 HB User

I just wanted to say i have been dealing with the same thing and wondered if it was any better. The local health food store owner said her daughter went thru same thing and she started taking maca, biosil, vit D3 5000IU, bcomplex and it helped her regulated her hormones, and her hair began to grow and stopped falling out. I saw a derm, she said get rogaine for men, take 5000IU biotin. I did the rogaine for a month but I decided I dont want to do that. I have been taking biotin, bcomplex, for a month, and started the maca, biosil, vit D3 for a week now. I know that it is hard and I have stopped crying about it and worrying so much.I was wondering also if you had facial hair? I have noticed fine white hairs on side of cheeks. Good luck

Old 07-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
(female)

Indgal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jansen83 View Post
Hi there,

I was depressed with my hair loss caused by the same reason and was looking for some solution and bumped into this post. Although, i was on BCP just for one month(my Gyn suggested it, as i had very heavy bleeding with clots inspite of going thru' a D & C). I stopped the BCP as i switched to Homeopathy medicine which took care of my heavy bleeding but now going thru very severe hair loss and am wondering what to do!! I dont mind trying out biotin, but my concern is how long should i take that and what will happen if i stop taking that eventually...will i go thru' hair loss again?!! Did Biotin and Zinc help you at all?

Thanks!!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
(female)

sarah9680 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by springspring74 View Post
I just wanted to say i have been dealing with the same thing and wondered if it was any better. The local health food store owner said her daughter went thru same thing and she started taking maca, biosil, vit D3 5000IU, bcomplex and it helped her regulated her hormones, and her hair began to grow and stopped falling out. I saw a derm, she said get rogaine for men, take 5000IU biotin. I did the rogaine for a month but I decided I dont want to do that. I have been taking biotin, bcomplex, for a month, and started the maca, biosil, vit D3 for a week now. I know that it is hard and I have stopped crying about it and worrying so much.I was wondering also if you had facial hair? I have noticed fine white hairs on side of cheeks. Good luck
Springspring74 - Curious to know how long after you topped taking the pill, did you notice the fine white hairs on the side of your cheeks? I just stopped the pill, and literally 1 day after stopping I noticed them! (this includes taking the 4 sugar pills).

Closed Thread