It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

jessican HB User
Taking Birth Control to Delay Period - Messing Up Cycle??

This is a little confusing, but I am going to try to make it understandable. I got some birth control about 9 months ago because I don't have regular periods. They usually come every 38-45 days. After taking it correctly for a couple of months I decided to quit taking it because, although it made my periods normal, I was spotting all the time and gaining weight and breaking out like crazy.

My last period was SUPPOSED to start on May 27th (according to my period tracker, which is usually a few days off) but didn't start until June 3rd. We were leaving to go on vacation to the ocean and I didn't want to be dealing with a period while out on the boat for hours and getting in the water, so I took my leftover birth control that week. It mostly stopped it, but I was still spotting and had a light-medium period once in a while during our vacation. I stopped taking the birth control when vacation was over (June 10th) and then my period really got started and it was very heavy until June 13th.

Now, according to my period tracker, I am 14 days late for my period (based on a 38 day cycle). I am on day 52 of my cycle and still nothing. My breasts are tender like they usually are the week before my period comes, but they have been this way for over a week now.

I guess my question is, what could be the odds that I am pregnant? Do you think maybe just taking the birth control for that week really messed up my cycle and it is going to take a while for me to start my period? I did have unprotected sex quite a bit since my last period, but my boyfriend did pull out (I know that's not an effective means of birth control at all, but I'm not worried about getting pregnant). But I didn't track any ovulation or anything. I'm not even completely positive that I am ovulating at all because of my long and sporadic cycles. I took a cheap pregnancy test on Sunday, but it said negative. Should I just go with that?

Sorry for the long and confusing post. I tried to make it as understandable as possible. Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Taking Birth Control to Delay Period - Messing Up Cycle??

It's hard to say whether you're pregnant or not. When I quit the pill a while ago, my doc told me that it's possible to be super fertile or for it to take a while to start ovulating again, it all depends on each woman's hormones. Since your cycles were already screwy to begin with, it's possible you may have dodged a bullet, but it's really hard to say. I think you should wait for another week and take another test. If you still don't have it, maybe call your doctor and ask for a blood test.

Also, it takes a while after quitting birth control for women with normal cycles to get back to normal, sometimes. So that could be happening to you, too.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
(female)

jessican HB User
Re: Taking Birth Control to Delay Period - Messing Up Cycle??

Thank you for replying!!

I figure I just really messed it up since I only took the birth control for a week. I guess I will continue to wait it out for a little while. Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
birth control, menstrual cycle, pregnancy