It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

Woogah HB User
BC Pill + Condom - How Safe Am I?

Okay, I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'm having trouble finding clear statistics regarding birth control methods online, so I figured maybe someone on here has more of an idea.

Here's my current situation:
I'm having sex quite regularly with one partner (my boyfriend).
I'm on the pill (Yaz, have been taking it for about a year with no side effects), and we use a condom every single time.
I'm good about taking the pills (I've forgotten one day maybe 4-5 times during my use, but all of those times have been during stretches of time where I didn't see him for at least a few weeks, and I took the forgotten one as soon as I realised; regardless, I've just set up a set of alarms on my phone to help prevent this in the future). I do consciously skip the 4 pills at the end of the pack that are placebos - I just throw the pack out after taking the last active one and start the next pack 4 days later. Since there's nothing in those 4 pills I doubt this makes a difference, and I've never messed up the timing between packs (I set a phone alarm for this as well).
We follow all the tips for condom usage that I know of: we don't keep them in wallets (we store them in our rooms, not in direct sunlight - in a paper bag), if anything dodgy happens during use (e.g. getting it the wrong way around on the first try, it not feeling secure) we immediately switch out for a fresh one, and he pinches the tip before putting it on so that no air gets trapped, and checks afterwards if he can see any breaks (which never has happened).

How high are chances of an accidental pregnancy with these habits? I really, REALLY don't want to get pregnant (in my country of origin, abortions are illegal...) but would obviously rather not stop having sex! Are there any additional precautions I can take?

I've read a bit about the IUD which has the advantage that I can't forget to take it, but I read that a common side effect is longer and more painful periods, which I'd really much rather not deal with - I'm lucky in that I have pretty much no period-related symptoms whatsoever, and I'd like to keep it that way! I also can't tell if it's actually more effective than the pill assuming you don't forget to take any pills. Any experiences?

In the unlikely event that something should happen (e.g. the condom breaking), what methods of emergency contraception would you guys recommend?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread