It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

Savannah9034 HB User
Ortho Tri Cyclen help?

I started my period back in June 2008 and ever since they have been irregular and heavy. I was put on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and had to stop after 3 weeks cause it made me so sick. Now 4 years later I have a new GYN and she wants me to start on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen as soon as my period starts. I also have a 4cm cyst.
How can I make sure it doesn't make me sick again? I have to take it for 6 months and I'm dreading it cause last time it was horrible and this is the only pill she's willing to put me on before she tries something else.
Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thank you

Old 09-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User
Re: Ortho Tri Cyclen help?

First, try not to worry too much. There is a real chance that your hormones have changed by now and that Ortho might end up working for you, so don't expect the worst. B-control tends to make me sick too, but one thing I've learned is that it's normal to experience side effects at first and sometimes it can take as long as 6 months for your body to adjust (usually i start to notice them lessen within a full pack and they become less and less noticeable with every pack after that).

That said, if you find that the side effects of Ortho are so bad this time around that you cannot bear to stick it out even for a full pack (i could not stand Ortho myself), then don't! I mean, unless there is a real medical reason that you must stick with Ortho in particular (and I would not think there would be even considering your cyst and heavy periods), one size does not fit all and your doctor should be working with YOU to find out which b-control works best with your own individual biology.

Honestly, you might consider requesting a new gyn, because this one doesn't sound like a very good one and you really shouldn't be feeling like this (so scared and panicked). I mean, it's no wonder you avoided birth control for 4 years after the first experience, and now this lady's probably gonna end up scaring you off of it for the next 10 yrs! It doesn't have to be like this at all, so consider switching doctors.

The truth is pretty much that no b-control is without side effects but you CAN find one that works good for you if you're patient (remember that the side effects will lesson with each pack) and have a doctor that is willing to work with you. When Ortho didn't work out for me (I swear to god it made me so sick I almost went to the ER) my dr had me try a lower dose birth control (orthotricyclen lo). Good luck.

*oh yeah a good way to lesson the side effects is to take your b-control at night before bed at the same time every night.

Last edited by crookedhearts; 09-01-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: forgot something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

mandi01 HB User

I have been on this for 12 days because I had been bleeding for 6 weeks. I just sarted spotting and cramping again today. I hate BC but my body doesn't want to work on its own. I feel your frustration!!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

Savannah9034 HB User

Well I start taking Ortho tonight and I'm scared as ever. I think I may get a new GYN because she wants to do things her way and doesn't even care about my opinions. Last time I almost went to the hospital for dehydration so I guess I will try and stick out the three months then quit if I can't handle it. ):

Closed Thread