It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
(female)

punknpal HB User
Is this normal?

Hello,

Please forgive me if this question has been asked or if it seems silly. I recently started to take my first birth control pill two weeks ago for irregular and very painful periods.

I am taking a low dose and there doesn't seem to be many side effects, in fact, last week I felt like I had more energy and was sleeping better.
This week I am spotting a little (which I was told would happen) but I am having BAD cramps (in league with the ones I initially went on the pill to TREAT).
Advil is not even touching it.
All serious problems have been ruled out, I seem to just have REALLY painful periods...I was wishing and praying that the pill would resolve this.

IS THIS NORMAL to still have cramps even on the pill? Have you experienced this? How long does it take to 'work' for my painful cramps?

ANY response or insight is EXTREMELY appreciated.

Last edited by punknpal; 02-23-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Is this normal?

The pill, despite what you may have been told, is not a miracle drug to make your cramps or other menstrual problems go away. It works good for some women for those problems but not for everyone. I was on various pills for over 15 years and never got any benefit for the heaviness of my period or for cramps. I still had periods that lasted over a week and I still had to pop prescription strength ibuprofen for cramps. And I'm not the only one. There are a lot of other women who get no benefit from it except birth control. Sorry to say but it sounds like you're in that category.

I suppose if you want to try other pills to see if another works better for you but I've literally been on majority of them at one time or another and none of the, made any difference in my cramps or duration or heaviness of my period.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
(female)

punknpal HB User

Well first off, thanks for responding!

The flow is LESS, but then again I'm just spotting..I was more wondering if it takes more than a few weeks to 'kick in' or for my body to get used to. Anyone have experience with this?

Yeah I will see my OB/GYN soon and will ask for some Ibuprofin; advil doesn't cut it I'm afraid.
What dosage do you take for your cramps?

Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Well, like I said, it may or may not help your cramps. It doesn't help everyone.

I was taking 600mg ibuprofen but that didn't make it go away entirely. I actually had more luck with 550mg naproxen, which is prescription strength Aleve. But the problem with that is that it's 12 hr dosing so when it starts wearing off is way before the 12 hour timeframe and then you're stuck. So I switched back to the 600 mg ibuprofen because you can take that every 4-6 hours or so.

Closed Thread

Tags
birth control pill, cramps