It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

birthdaygirl HB User
Angry mirena and my STUPID period

I had mirena put in in May of 2012 and it's been 10 months now. I went through the usual spotting/bleeding on and off for a few months then it settled a bit and i got a regular period since.

My period is definately lighter but it LASTS for an average of 11 days each month. When I get pms or begin to ovulate the menstrual cramps are far worse than they used to be and as soon as THAT subsides I'm bleeding again.

Every one I know has had their period stop or at least has had very short periods. I'm just at my wits end. I had it put in to A. Prevent pregnancy and B. deal with heavy wacky periods (Im perimenopausal I guess).

I have a trip booked in May of this year and according to my period tracker guess what....due to have my period right smack in the middle of it!

Can I take BCP to prevent a period? I cant deal with this crap much longer. Im afraid if I have it removed now my periods will be even worse right in time for my trip.

Any advice is appreciated. My Gyn is NO help.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
(female)

birthdaygirl HB User
Re: mirena and my STUPID period

What I hate about these boards...no one ever answers you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
(female)

sknigh15 HB User

I may not be much help but I had mine put in may 2011 and my periods are always heavy and have never stopped but I am having to get mine taken out this week because mine has moved and is causing me serious pain.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
(female)

SmallSails HB User

Ask your Doctor for options. I am sure there are women who want to avoid this type of thing for their weddings or what have you while on Mirena. I doubt taking birth control pills out of the blue will help you though - your body won't have enough time to adjust and it will likely even mess you up more.

Last edited by SmallSails; 03-20-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
(female)

chikia HB User

Hi!! I'll answer..but I dont have an answer. I just have questions. I have to make a choice, Mirena IUD or hysterectomy for fibroids. I'm 44 and ended up in er with bleeding and clotting for over 30 days. I'm afraid of the stupid iud but the side effects I've been reading about are worse for hysterectomy. My sister has an iud and she said the same thing, spotting and periods lasting about 10-11 days and worse cramps. Yikes, middle age sucks. Hope you feel better and at least try to enjoy your upcoming trip.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
(female)

Paininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB User

I don't know if this will help anyone but here goes anyway. I've been on Depo-Provera for a long time. The first shot was given while I was on my period, it was gone the next day and 15 years later, still haven't had a period. No PMS, no cramps, no monthlies, nothing. Might be worth checking into.

Closed Thread

Tags
mirena