It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

smit1337 HB User
Sex with no protection but birth control?

I started the minipill on Monday, and won't see my boyfriend until next Saturday, and we're planning on having sex during that weekend. Just like instructed by my doctor, I took it the first day of my period and all that. I take the pill around 6:15-6:35 daily and won't have a problem with keeping it at that time for another few weeks (and at the time when I'm going to start taking it at a later time daily, backup contraception will be used for probably at least a week).

I've been with him since January, and we've been exclusively sexually active for about three months now. We've been using just condoms and nothing else without a problem for that entire time. Both have been to the doctor during that time and are clean of STD's and all, so I'm not concerned about that.

When I see him next, we were talking about not using a condom this time, and debating on whether pulling out was going to happen or not too.

It's like I know that there's a 99% success rate with my pill, but I feel like I've heard SO many horror stories.. but at the same time I know many of those could stem from taking this pills inconsistently, skipping them, etc..

So, should everything work out just fine? I'm just paranoid since it'll be my first time EVER doing this, so..

Last edited by smit1337; 07-18-2013 at 10:21 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to smit1337 For This Useful Post:
jjswatt (08-11-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
(female)

gymnast78 HB User
Re: Sex with no protection but birth control?

Most doctors recommend you continue using condoms as well as the pill throughout your entire first pack of pills. You body will need time to adjust to the new hormones and it's just a better idea to get it into your system well enough. By the time you start your second pack you should be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
(female)

KEL871 HB User

Most doctors recommend using a backup method throughout the first pack of pills regardless of when you start them. A good friend of mine faithfully took the pill for years and got pregnant, and my brother-in-law got his gf pregnant with pulling out since he did not account for pre-***. So better safe than sorry.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

This is a toughie because the mini pill has a higher failure rate than the combo pill. With the combo pill you can take it at a different time and it won't really matter as much but with the mini pill they're pretty adamant that it needs to be taken at the same time every day to ensure protection and to avoid breakthrough bleeding. With the combo pill it's a lot easier to know you're pretty safe even without a condom.

But the mini pill? I don't know. I have my doubts. I'm not trying to scare you it's just that it would suck if you didn't use a condom with it and needed up pregnant by accident. I wouldn't want to tell you that it was ok to proceed without a condom and have you end up pregnant. I'm really not sure what to tell you.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
(female)

Prairie Fairie HB User

Firstly: great to hear you and your boyfriend have been tested. Condoms are often highly over-rated in the efficacy of protecting people from diseases, so having both been sensible enough to do the tests is even better! Kudos to you both. It shows you care about one another.

Second: I echo the sentiments of those that have already spoken - while I'm not familiar with the mini-pill, I also endorse the standard (which varies depending on pill and your cycle) of waiting a month.

Third: I relied on condoms and contraceptive and when we decided to have a child, I was pregnant the first attempt without contraception. I didn't know I was so fertile and previous mishaps that resulted in my paranoia and getting the emergency contraceptive probably saved me some headaches and a much different life.

My attitude here (is surely my own, but I do encourage it) - a little paranoia and extra protection while your body is adjusting is definitely worth it. While kids are great, it's better to be sure the person you are with is the one you want as your child's father and early in a relationship is not the time you want to find out

Good luck with your relationship. And if you're concerned about the type of pill you're on, you can always switch to something else. Everyone has different reactions to the pill and so what you may read about terrible side effects of one particular variety may not hold true for some one else. This comment is in no way reflective of the mini-pill - I'm speaking generally. I'm unfamiliar with what you have been given.

Closed Thread

Tags
birth control pill, contraceptives, sex chat