It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board
This blog features content that is provided to the community by the Healthboards Editorial Staff. If there is a health topic you’d like us to research and post about, please let us know by posting in the Site Suggestions board!
  1. Old Comment

How to Deal with Holiday Addiction Triggers

If you know that walking by a bar is a definite trigger for you, for example, then do not knowingly walk by a bar to see if your recovery is as strong as you believe it to be. Maybe that time you are able to avoid going into the bar. But the seed of a trigger is planted. Something else you have not identified yet as a trigger can occur, and the combination can lead you right to a drink.

There is no need to test yourself. When you identify your current triggers, are aware of what you are working with, practice a plan, and employ good self-care, you are managing your triggers during recovery from addiction.
  2. Old Comment

4 Tips to Avoid Colds & Flu

Thanks for the additional info from Nightngale and naterey -- we appreciate your participation! Supplements can be great, but we want to remind readers to check with your doctor before adding herbal and vitamin supplements to your wellness plan, as some people can experience side effects or negative interactions with other medications.
  3. Old Comment

I find it tragic that i even have to add this:
    3 grams vitamin C and 6000 IU vitamin D3 daily, or 6X a week.
    I have maintained the vit C protocol for more than 15 years now. I added the D about five years ago.

Since then, not so much as a sniffle.
  4. Old Comment

May I add to number 1? Elderberries! A very popular, and effective, herbal cold remedies in Europe, now becoming more popular in the US.
    Elderberry Syrup Recipe
    - 1 cup fresh or 1/2 cup dried organic Elderberries (harvest blue or black, avoid poisonous reds)
    - 3 cups water
    - 1 cup raw local honey
    - 1 organic Cinnamon stick,
    - 3 organic Cloves,
    - organic Ginger (optional)
    Place berries, water, and spices in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Smash the berries to release remaining juice and strain the mixture. Allow liquid to cool and stir in honey. Will last for 2-3 months stored in the fridge.
    Take a tablespoon daily to ward off illness and a teaspoon every 2-3 hours while sick. Not recommended for children under 2 due to the honey.
  5. Old Comment

3 Tips for Managing Diabetes

Thanks for your comment Coll1e. We understand that individuals each have different needs, and always encourage people to consult a physician about which steps for disease management are right for them. This blog provides general information and tips that may apply to a wide audience, based on information accepted by medical professionals. Thanks for being part of HealthBoards!
  6. Old Comment

3 Tips for Managing Diabetes

Point 1 is in the case of "skinny diabetics" totally erroneous.
  7. Old Comment

Reducing Stress: Don't Let Stress Ruin Your Health

Thanks for your feedback, Andrea. We appreciate community input!
  8. Old Comment
  9. Old Comment

Autism Symptoms in Boys vs. Girls

Phoenix, that's what we're here for!

We appreciate all your participation on the boards!
  10. Old Comment

Autism Symptoms in Boys vs. Girls

A Heartfelt Thank You

Hello ChristaIB.

I thank you sincerely for bringing this to the forefront.

Blessings
    Phoenix
  11. Old Comment

Want to Increase Your Metabolism?

All very good ideas. But what about the person who can't stop eating or eats and then throws up in order to avoid gaining weight? For them these ideas are useless. If anyone feels like they are in this category try Overeaters Anonymous (OA) go to [url]www.oa.org[/url] for more information.
    OA is a 12 step program based on the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous.
    It works, if you work it.
  12. Old Comment

Protein will satisfy you if you're hungry. These foods won't satisfy cravings. Those types of cravings are caused by simple carbs and sugars. The more of those you eat, the more you will crave. Once you wean yourself off of them, you will crave them less.

The points made above are good. However, carbs are completely cut out. Your body needs the energy from carbs. Hence a small portion of complex carbs is ok, according to what I've read up on.
  13. Old Comment

These are all good ideas, though nothing new (oh yes-- the increase spices suggestion is new!) But what if you are hungry for all the wrong foods? What if eating a salad and chicken breast is not satisfying? Makes the article seem defeating.
  14. Old Comment

Want to Relieve Stress?

I never thought of aroma therapy as a way to relieve stress! Totally makes sense now that I think about all the times I felt relaxed with a smell of cookies, coffee, scented candles, or insence burning.

Thanks!