It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 07:48 AM   #1

tyson868 HB User
Low White Blood Cells

I am new to this so please bare w/ me. A few weeks ago, I went for a physical and my blood test results came back sayin my WBC were low. So they retested and it was a little higher, but still a little lower then average. Can anyone explain to me what can possibly cause this? My history shows low WBC, but these past 2 times were a little lower then in previous years. Would not eating that morning do anything? (fasting) or maybe even a possible cold? And how do I get my WBC back up?

Old 11-25-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Re: Low White Blood Cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson868
I am new to this so please bare w/ me. A few weeks ago, I went for a physical and my blood test results came back sayin my WBC were low. So they retested and it was a little higher, but still a little lower then average. Can anyone explain to me what can possibly cause this? My history shows low WBC, but these past 2 times were a little lower then in previous years. Would not eating that morning do anything? (fasting) or maybe even a possible cold? And how do I get my WBC back up?
Hi there tyson...question for you, was it JUST your WBCs that were low, or were all of your blood counts low? And when you say lower than average, how much lower than average? When the lab gives a reference range say of 5-10 being a normal number for WBCs, if you have a number like 3 or 4, it's below the range, but it's nothing to shake a stick at...i.e. it's not a big deal. Are you significantly below the lower limit?

Answer those questions first, and then I'll get to the rest of the explanation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Low White Blood Cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson868
Low White blood cell count is not a big deal as long as the white blood cells you have are healthy. You can have a high blood cell count but if the cells are malformed then you can be very ill.

Your white blood cell count can vary from day to day because a lot of the specific cells neutrophils, monocytes etc. dart into your tissues and then back into the blood depending on needs of the body for infection protection. So you could draw blood every single day and get a different count higher or lower. Also another thing that matters is percentage of White blood cells and their specific functions. Lymphocyte per centages matter in terms of how many B cells and T cells you have available to fight infection. Neutrophils are very necessary for fighting bacterial infections. Monocytes are also the type of cell that hunts out and swallows up potential bacteria that could cause harm.

There are two illnesses that are specific to low white cell counts the primary known one is AIDS the other is certain lymphomas.

Occasionally the aftermath of flu, or a chronic illness such as Rheumatoid arthritis will cause low White blood cell counts.

Closed Thread