It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2003, 09:37 PM   #1

tropical123 HB User
Question Polycythemia and Iron - Diet program?

Hi, i'm 34year old male and has had polycythemia for nearly 4 years. I have phlebotomy done every 1-2 months to keep my hematocrit under 50.

Wanted to find out more on iron deficiency. I've been in great fatigue this year here and then. I just found out that frequent phlebotomy will mostly create iron deficiency (which will lead to fatigue) and for people having polycythemia, they can't replace with iron supplements because this will create more RBC.

Anyone has more in this ? Also, I recently been drinking juice which includes green vegetables and green apples to help me relax, but in fact pushed up my hemoglobin and hematocrit at a faster level.

Does anyone have any good diet programs for polycythemia since we have a lot of limitations.

Thank you very much.

Old 12-27-2003, 03:37 PM   #2

Jammin Mom HB User
Re: Polycythemia and Iron - Diet program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical123
Hi, i'm 34year old male and has had polycythemia for nearly 4 years. I have phlebotomy done every 1-2 months to keep my hematocrit under 50.

Wanted to find out more on iron deficiency. I've been in great fatigue this year here and then. I just found out that frequent phlebotomy will mostly create iron deficiency (which will lead to fatigue) and for people having polycythemia, they can't replace with iron supplements because this will create more RBC.

Anyone has more in this ? Also, I recently been drinking juice which includes green vegetables and green apples to help me relax, but in fact pushed up my hemoglobin and hematocrit at a faster level.

Does anyone have any good diet programs for polycythemia since we have a lot of limitations.

Thank you very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 03:42 PM   #3

Jammin Mom HB User

Hi Ive Been Hopeing To See A Reply To Your Questions, As I Am Wondering The Same Thing. I Have Only Been Having To Have Blood Drawn For Just The Past Few Months. And At First I Was Fine But Now When The Time In Between Is Every 6 Weeks Im More Tired Than Ever. I Think Drinking Alot Of Water Does Help, But Thats All Ive Found To Help. Hope To Hear More From You.
Jammin Mom

Old 12-28-2003, 04:52 AM   #4

tropical123 HB User

I'm trying to find out if there is any correlation with iron supplements/green vegetables in relation to faster RBC. I have stop taking them since I wrote the subject and been drinking 2-3 liters of water daily. Will do blood test after the new years and will post what the results (last phlebotomy was 25th november).

Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #5

NASCARfan HB User
Polycythemia Rubra Vera

Hi there, I was diagnosed with Polycythemia May/03. I had phlebotomies done in June 03, 500 ml every 2 weeks withdrawn. I went for a blood test in Oct 03 and all the blood was normal except the platelets were 685. Then I went for another blood test Jan 04 and all the blood has climbed and my platelets are 704. So now I have to go for more phlebolomies, 1 every 3 weeks of 500 ml. Ia anyone on any pills for slow down the marrow from producing???? I have asked my DR over and over and she says there is nothing I can do to slow the production down. I just have to let it do it's thing. That is great to hear when she is perfectly healthy. Me probably smoking isn't helping, but I am so freaked out about this I am having a hard time trying to quit. Sorry I couldn't help, but I had a question for anyone. Hope to hear from anyone soon.

Thank You
Cheryl

Last edited by NASCARfan; 01-10-2004 at 04:23 PM.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:47 PM   #6

tropical123 HB User

tropical, got my blood test done and so far no increase in red blood count (rbc) and hematocrit levels...i'm still try not to eat too much green vegetables and any vitamins which has any irons...so far so good, but will take another blood test at end of the month. crossing my fingers.

Old 01-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #7

MargieRuth HB User

Neither my attending Doc nor Hematologist have given me any diet restrictions only not to take vitamins with Iron. I've had six phlebotomies, going for seventh this next week. But with Polycythemia Vera blood clotting is a danger so I'm careful not to eat too much green leafy vegetables because of Vitamin K which is given when blood is too thin. My blood levels are really good now. WBC's just a little high, everything else O.K. My hmglbn and hemcrt runnin on the high normal side, platelets O.K. so Docs are happy, and me too. But worry is still lingering below the surface and probably always will. I have been told to drink more water than I do, and I'm trying.

Old 01-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #8

NASCARfan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRuth
Neither my attending Doc nor Hematologist have given me any diet restrictions only not to take vitamins with Iron. I've had six phlebotomies, going for seventh this next week. But with Polycythemia Vera blood clotting is a danger so I'm careful not to eat too much green leafy vegetables because of Vitamin K which is given when blood is too thin. My blood levels are really good now. WBC's just a little high, everything else O.K. My hmglbn and hemcrt runnin on the high normal side, platelets O.K. so Docs are happy, and me too. But worry is still lingering below the surface and probably always will. I have been told to drink more water than I do, and I'm trying.

Thx Margie, The only vitamin I take is a multi vitamin everyday, it has a little iron in it. I eat a lot of salads and I didn't know that grenn leafy vegetable could do that. How long have you had Polycythemia and did the Dr ever put you on any medication to slow the marrow down from producing too many platelets. My Dr wants to put me on Hydrea which surpresses the marrow, but I refused too just yet because I am going for a 2nd opinion in April and my blood has to be out of wack. Thx for the info and keep me posted as I will do the same

Old 01-19-2004, 08:02 AM   #9

MargieRuth HB User

Hi - I've probably had Polycythemia Vera about a year or so. I started getting phlebotomies 2 weeks apart and now I'm at 3 mos. I would imagine that one would have to eat enormous amounts of dk. green leafy veggies to make a difference, but it's just one of my "things" to do to help myself. I have a book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" that I looked in today about Vit. K. There are other foods mentioned also so I've just come to the conclusion that you have to eat lg. amts to matter, but I don't know. As I said, the Docs have not restricted my diet. I'm glad chocolate wasn't mentioned. Good luck to you and best regards Margie

Old 01-19-2004, 08:05 AM   #10

MargieRuth HB User

Oops I forgot about the medication part of your post. Guess it's time for a phlebotomy. No, the Doc decided not to put me on medication, just blood withdrawals. Of course, I'm undoubtedly a lot older than you and I think that would probably make a difference. Margie

Closed Thread