It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2004, 04:35 AM   #1

mipps HB User
Question High MCV - What to expect from Hematologist visit??

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has had a High MCV. I am going to a Hematologist in a few days and was wondering what to expect - questions, tests if any?

Ongoing symptons (chest trembling, weakness on standing, bone aches, general weakness, fatigue (off and on for 8 months but symptoms constant now for about 3 weeks). Recently I have noticed red dots with a lighter red circle around the *** on my arms and torso.

I had a CBC done. The only abnomality was "significantly enlarged red blood cells" - MCV 109. 7 months previous it was 99. 2 years previous 92. The same sample was used to test liver function, iron deficiency, folicacid & B12 - All were normal.

I have Hashimotos thyroiditis (diagnosed 7 months ago), and am taking 75mg Thyroxine - recent tests say my thyroid levels are within the normal range.

Many thanks

Last edited by mipps; 01-20-2004 at 05:38 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to mipps:
Yvette18 (03-01-2011)
Old 01-09-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Enlarged red blood cells

[QUOTE size of the red cells matter and could it be related to my symptoms?

Due to ongoing symptons (chest trembling, weakness on standing, general aches and pains, confusion, pin & needles in hands & feet, fatigue (off and on for 8 months but increasing in duration), I had a CBC done. The only abnomality was "significantly enlarged red blood cells". Apparently there was slight elargement in a previous test 7 months ago.

The same sample was used to test liver function, folicacid & B12 - All were normal.

I have Hashimotos thyroiditis (diagnosed 7 months ago), and am taking 75mg Thyroxine - recent tests say my thyroid levels are within the normal range.

Many thanks[/QUOTE]
Blood cells sometimes enlarge in order to accomodate the additional work they might have to do in transporting oxygen to the entire body. This can happen due to anemia not enough iron to go around, or due to slight poisoning interfering with oxygenation of body( thyroxin is not a poison but the body might react as though it were for a while.) By itself enlarged red blood cells are not anything more to worry about than blood count being slightly out of range. Something to note but not get excited about. There would have to be other things going on for the enlarged red blood cells to be a serious symptom.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marimac For This Useful Post:
Yvette18 (03-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: Enlarged red blood cells

...and just to add, macrocytic anemia can often be associated with hypothyroidism

The Following User Says Thank You to butterflytrans For This Useful Post:
Yvette18 (03-01-2011)
Old 01-10-2004, 05:42 AM   #4

mipps HB User
Wink Re: Enlarged red blood cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflytrans
...and just to add, macrocytic anemia can often be associated with hypothyroidism

Many thanks for your response, your comments certainally helped put my mind at ease.

Closed Thread