It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

linz0614 HB User
Question anyone miss a dose of coumadin

I'm 21 and had a blood clot in my leg, and a piece broke off and went to my lung. I've been on coumadin for over 3 mos but told i will be on it for 6 mos. However I missed a dose the other day and wondered if this happened to anyone else?

Old 01-11-2004, 05:56 PM   #2
Inactive

Kali HB User
Re: anyone miss a dose of coumadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz0614
I'm 21 and had a blood clot in my leg, and a piece broke off and went to my lung. I've been on coumadin for over 3 mos but told i will be on it for 6 mos. However I missed a dose the other day and wondered if this happened to anyone else?
I've also been recently diagnosed with DVT and am on coumadin. The severity of missing a dose is really dependant on how out of wack your INR levels are. For myself, I have just recently come back into the 'safe' zone (2-3), however, I did miss a day and I PLUMMITTED back down to 1.3, so for me, it's REALLY important that I don't miss a day. I have yet to have an INR come back the same two weeks in a row, which is normal when it begins to stabalize.

Because everyone is different, I would suggest you talk to your doctor about it. How long have you been on coumadin? What was your last INR? How often do you have an INR? How often do you talk to your doctor?

I would make an appointment with your doctor and have schedualled INR tests.

Erin

Last edited by BluButt; 01-11-2004 at 05:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
(female)

linz0614 HB User

My last INR was 2.5, I'm not scheduled again until Feb. I've been on it for 3 mos and the last 2 mos my INR has been rather steady. I guess I should call the doc tomorrow.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
Inactive

Kali HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz0614
My last INR was 2.5, I'm not scheduled again until Feb. I've been on it for 3 mos and the last 2 mos my INR has been rather steady. I guess I should call the doc tomorrow.
You sound to be a lot more stable then me. My last INR was 1.3 and I was told that if it didn't come back above 2 by my next schedualed INR (tomorrow), that I would be admitted for innoxaparin treatments again.

For people of our age range 2-3 is a healthy range. If you are staying within that range you are more then likely OK.

Talk to your doctor and have a game plan ready so that if you miss a dose you know how much to take the next time. For example, after missing my last does I was told that if I miss again I am to take an extra milligram for 3 days to compensate, but then again, my INR's are still all loopy, where as yours aren't.

You should still talk with your doctor. He may want you to have an INR just to make you sure haven't dropped.

Good luck!

Erin

Closed Thread