It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

savanannastar HB User
Question leg pain

Hi guys for the people how had clots in there leg i know the main symptom is pain ,is it constant pain , or does it come and go and does the pain hurt around the same place in the leg also do they have a blood test now that will help determine if it is a clot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Inactive

miseryweeps HB User
Re: leg pain

When my sister has a clot in her leg (from DVT), she says it is constant and feels HOT. She says there is no mistaking what it is if it goes hot feeling. That seems to be her tip off that she needs to go to the ER. She has Protein C deficiency also so she is fairly experienced with clots. Hope this helps some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2004, 11:03 AM   #3

MargieRuth HB User

When I had DVT, my right leg was huge, very hard, reddened, warm to touch and somewhat painful. I was at work and when I got home I noticed my leg. I didn't do anything that night, but next morning, it was horrible so off to the ER. Had a doppler which indicated a blood clot and was admitted to hospital for a week. It stayed swollen for awhile, particularly the ankle with occasional stinging-like feeling. My right leg is slightly larger that my left now after 2 yrs. but no pain. I'm careful about not sitting too long and changing positions of my legs when I'm watching TV or going to movie.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
(female)

savanannastar HB User

Thanks guys,I dont think i have a clot then since my pain seems to move around it is always in the right leg but one day it will be aching all day in my calf and the next day behind my knee,no swelling or redness,doc does not think clot however i dont know what it could be?

Old 01-19-2004, 04:50 PM   #5

Ash16 HB User

I know you have already said that you don't think you have a clot and you prolly have all the info you need... but i thought i would share some of my story.I was only 14 years old when my first clot was found. It was a massive DVT (from my hip to my knee). I went to the ER because my hip was buggin me and from my knee up felt kinda stiff and it was purple and shiny. They ruled it out as Toxic Synnivitis (fliud in the hip bone) and sent me home saying it would work itself out. Well, it didn't. Within 2 days of the ER visit, my entire leg was purple... 3 inches larger then my right leg, and it was the most pain i have ever been in, in my entire life. All the way thru my toes was just aching. If i would stand up... the pain was even worse. It is a continuous pain that doesn't quit. It's different then any pain you could ever imagine. Believe me, you would know if you had a clot. One of the first things they tell you to look for is a feeling of hott and shininess. If your leg suddenly is real shiny and hott... you need to get checked out immediately. There is a blood test they can run to find out if you have an active clot. I don't know what they find...but if they find it.... you'll end up in the hospital. I am now 16 years old and i have had 4 clots since then...even after being on coumodin and lovonox (or howeva u spell it). I am told i will need to be on different types of blood thinners (becuz bein on the same one can cause internal bleeding) for the majority of my life. I still have alot of pain in my leg because the vein will never completly heal. Well, I am done boring you now! I hope you got the picture tho!

Old 01-19-2004, 08:13 PM   #6

MargieRuth HB User

Ash - I'm so sorry to hear of the major problems you have at such a young age. I wish you the best of luck for the future, and hope somehow, some way, someone can help you more. Best wishes, Margie

Old 01-20-2004, 09:53 AM   #7
(female)

savanannastar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRuth
Ash - I'm so sorry to hear of the major problems you have at such a young age. I wish you the best of luck for the future, and hope somehow, some way, someone can help you more. Best wishes, Margie

Thanks Margie,i wish and hope i could find answers too,best of luck to you also
Savanna

Old 01-22-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

When I had a clot I had a crampy feeling behind my knee. It didn't feel hot and it wasn't swollen or shiney.........just a terrible crampoy feeling back there.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:02 PM   #9
(female)

savanannastar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo64
When I had a clot I had a crampy feeling behind my knee. It didn't feel hot and it wasn't swollen or shiney.........just a terrible crampoy feeling back there.

How did they diagnosis it and what kind of clot was it?someone told me some clots arent dangerous and they will dissolve on there own.Did your pain move around or was it always in that spot?

Old 01-26-2004, 01:26 PM   #10
Inactive

Kali HB User

Just though I'd share; I NEVER had swelling, tightness, redness, or heat. The only symptom I had was cramping, and because it was following an operation it went undected for over a week because the cramping was said to have been caused by imbolization.

When the the cramp didn't clear up as my knee was healing, it became a concern, and upon a doppler test it showed it was indeed a clot.

I urge ANYONE who has a cramp in their leg that does not go away to see a doctor, because as with my case, their may not be a lot of other symptoms.

Erin

Closed Thread