It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Question Does heparin have to be started before taking coumadin?

Hi All,
I have antiphospholipid syndrome. My Doctor is considering putting me on Coumadin. Back about 7 years ago I had a DVT in my right thigh. I was admitted to the hospital. It took 10 or 11 days to get my heparin levels under control enough for the Doctor to put me on Coumadin. Would I have to go through to the hospital to initiate the heparin to coumadin regime again or can they just put me on coumadin pills? Any answers/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Kathy

Old 03-13-2004, 02:49 PM   #2

fudd HB User
Re: Does heparin have to be started before taking coumadin?

Heparin is the fast-acting anticoagulant and coumadin is for the long term. I suspect that they had you on heparin for the DVT and, once you were more stable, wanted to put you on coumadin to prevent it from happening again. Heparin + coumadin could result in blood that is TOO thin, so they probably waited until your levels were down before starting the coumadin. So yes, you could just start the coumadin immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykcio
Hi All,
I have antiphospholipid syndrome. My Doctor is considering putting me on Coumadin. Back about 7 years ago I had a DVT in my right thigh. I was admitted to the hospital. It took 10 or 11 days to get my heparin levels under control enough for the Doctor to put me on Coumadin. Would I have to go through to the hospital to initiate the heparin to coumadin regime again or can they just put me on coumadin pills? Any answers/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 01:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User

Thanks for the info. I really didn't want to be stuck in the hospital for so long again. Be well, Kathy

Old 03-28-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
Inactive

mimi-in-chicago HB User

There are heparin shots that your doctor will give you for the first week while you are starting the coumadin pills. Coumadin takes a while to build up in your blood, so they give you fast acting shots in the meantime. You will have to get your blood drawn a few times while your are adjusting your doses. You do not have to go to the hospital for this. I was given Lovenox shots that came pre-loaded. Beware, a lot of the needles on these shots are dull...you really have to jab yourself.

Old 03-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User

Thank you for the infoTom (I was born in CT...moved to VT 11 years ago) and Mimi. For now my Doc is trying one of the cholestrol-lowering drugs. Although my cholestrol levels are fine, my Hematologist said that the statins have been shown to lower the chances of blood clot formation. So far I had a bad reaction to one drug (Pravachol), but they're trying another. We'll see. It's certainly a better idea than taking coumadin, especially since I have a seizure disorder from a stroke. Thrashing around could cause a problem! Be well, Kathy

Closed Thread