It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User
white cell count 27

My grandson is 3 . He is having a few problems right now one being his white cell count is 27. How high can it go to be dangerous. Apparently he is having some kind of infection the Dr says but does not know where. Can this be anemia????? How high do they go before you get really sick. He seems fine one minute and then the next he has fever for a few hours and that leaves. Very strange symptoms!!!! How high do they go if you have leukemia????

HELP!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to twokatss:
denita18 (12-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 05:56 PM   #2

coley91 HB User
Re: white cell count 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokatss
My grandson is 3 . He is having a few problems right now one being his white cell count is 27. How high can it go to be dangerous. Apparently he is having some kind of infection the Dr says but does not know where. Can this be anemia????? How high do they go before you get really sick. He seems fine one minute and then the next he has fever for a few hours and that leaves. Very strange symptoms!!!! How high do they go if you have leukemia????

HELP!!!!
Does your grandson having any other symptoms besides the high white blood cell counts? Is he tired, not eating, loosing weight, night sweats, how is his platelet counts? Just wanted to ask a few questions before I said any thing.

Nicole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 08:57 PM   #3
(male)

sts22 HB User

27 is pretty high, he definitely has an infection, normal is from about 4.5 to 11. Leukemia would lower the white count, so I don't think you should worry about that. Did he have any more symptoms?

Old 04-01-2004, 09:56 PM   #4

silverjewel HB User

My husband has acute leukemia. When he was diagnosed, his white count was at 40,000. His platelets has dropped to less than 20,000. But he was sick. We thought he had stomach problems and he was tired all the time. But we were told that if his white count had been in the high teens or twenties, it could be a bad infection. So only a doctor can tell. My husbands white count at one time was over 100,000. I wouldn't worry about Leukemia just yet. But would get another opinion if he didn't get better soon. Infection can spread.

Old 04-02-2004, 05:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokatss

HELP!!!!
Children have VERY ACTIVE immune systems. If they are healthy, their counts can go way up there to fight off infection. If your child has a cavity, or an ear infection or bladder or kidney infection they can run those intermitten fevers. Also children will have fevers in response to allergies. My son had a lot of sinus infections from his tonsills growing up. I did not think we would ever survive all those trips to the doctors but they did not want to remove his tonsils because they said it would be better for him to try to keep them. So, at the ripe old age of 22 he rarely has a cold or any other infection so I guess it worked!

Old 04-28-2004, 04:19 PM   #6

dpowell01 HB User
2nd CBC retest

I just had a retest of my CBC cause my white count was 13000, it's now 12400, everything else normal. She ordered a Leukemia panel, (just to rule it out) I am feeling really nervous. Any advise or knowledge to put me at ease I am really freakin out. I won't get results for a couple days..YIKES!! :

Thanks

Old 05-05-2004, 09:15 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
Corrected white count

Just a general comment,

I was looking through some definitions about blood, and came across this information:

"leukocytosis: any condition in which the number of leukocytes or white cells in the circulating blood is abnormally high; a white cell count of 10,000 or more per cubic millimeter. This is a non-specific finding. Generally when there is an increase in red cell production, the white cell count is elevated. If there are many immature red blood cells present in the circulation, the white cell count as done by a machine is elevated. A 'corrected white count' is then done manually with a microscope."

Who would have thought that too many immature red blood cells would cause the white blood cell count to be off?

Closed Thread