It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2004, 09:54 AM   #1

musicgirl00 HB User
Depoprovera shot

I have factor five leiden and my gyn prescribed depo-provera and told me that i would be fine on it. I heard from a different doctor that i could not take this. I would really like to be on depo-provera but i am afraid of who to trust. Does anyone know if this is okay to take or not?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: Depoprovera shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgirl00
I have factor five leiden and my gyn prescribed depo-provera and told me that i would be fine on it. I heard from a different doctor that i could not take this. I would really like to be on depo-provera but i am afraid of who to trust. Does anyone know if this is okay to take or not?
Factor V Leiden is the presence of a particular gene that is passed on from your parents. People who have Factor V Leiden have blood that has an increased tendency to clot and they have a five times greater risk of developing a blood clot (thrombosis) than the rest of the population.

Depo Provera is contraindicated for people who have active thrombophlebitis or a current or past history of thromboembolic disorders.

So I would trust the doctor who told you to not take it. You are already at higher risk for blood clots because of the inherited gene. You really don't want to up those chances by taking an irreversable birth control hormone shot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2004, 07:54 PM   #3
Inactive

mimi-in-chicago HB User

Depo is still a hormone. Instead of estrogen, its progesterone. (Which is in high concentrations during pregnancy...and they required heparin during pregnancy.) It will still cause your blood to clot. Your chance of having a clot goes from 5-7% with factor V to 35-40% on birth control. I did not know I had factor V (I'm adopted), was on birth control, and had a septal aneurism and hole between my chambers in my heart (birth defect). I had two strokes. I'm 26. If you're on coumadin, you can take birth control. I am on coumadin now because of the patch they had to put in my heart. I don't think coumadin is that lovely to be on. My neurologist also said that birth control is also not good for women that have migraines...its a stroke risk...and since I've already had two...

Old 04-24-2004, 05:45 PM   #4

vannasmom99 HB User

I Too,have Factor V Leiden.my Doctor Told Me Not To Take Any Birth Control What So Ever,due To Hormones And Increasing The Risk Of Blood Clotting Etc...take Care.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:41 PM   #5

tat888 HB User

Absolutely do not take depo, for the above mentioned reasons, but also because it can be a deadly drug. I personally am a nurse and took one depo shot, just one, I almost died from hemorrhaging. The only way to stop the bleeding was to take 2 birth control pills every day for quite a few months. I continue to have multiple problems from the side effects from just this one shot. I was completely healthy before and I have been unable to perform normal daily activities for 3 years now. I am getting better but all the problems from this chemical is not worth it. Now I understand why they use it for chemical castration for men. But for women it should be outlawed. Our hormonal balance should not be scrambled like this. Whether it has caused permanent damage remains to be seen, but come on....3 years of panic anxiety, vertigo, thyroid problems, etc. And remember why they call it practicing medicine, because thats exactly what they are doing. It is through the patients complaints and the doctors observations of the symptoms that they learn about medicine. Good Luck!

Old 05-29-2004, 03:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

definately a no no! I have facto v also and have never been able to be on birth control for that very same reason, I don't want my risk any higher than it is without that depo.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #7
(female)

ingr2 HB User

Please Please don't do it. I only took BC for 6 weeks. It almost killed me. I had a clot in my leg from my hip to my ankle and almost lost my leg. That was in 1983. I have not taken another synthethic hormone since but I still lost two children in the late 80's during the third trimester of my pregancies, but in 2000 I had a clot go through my heart and caused a heart attack that has put me on the heart transplant list waiting on a donor. It was then that I was finally diagnosed with Factor Five Leiden defect. I never understood what was wrong with me. I just kept asking "why me Lord?" But now I know. Factor Five Leiden Defect can cause serious harm or even kill you. You don't have to have the extra hormones to cause this. I am proof. The hormones can make it even worse. I don't want anyone to go through what I am going through. I never knew at age 35 I would be in the condition I'm in now. It's like a rug was pulled out from under me. Don't take you life for granted dear. Search for other alternatives to contraception.
Judy in Georgia

Closed Thread