It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #1

mommie2paul HB User
Sick and Blood Test Results, can someone help?

I had a terribly sore throat and felt awful so I went to my doctor last Tuesday. He looked and my throat was red, my temp was about 99.3. He tested me for Mono, ordered CBC w/diff, and x-ray of my sinuses. He also sent to the lab a throat culture. All came back negative. My sinuses are normal. Did not put me on any medication. They said it was a allergy/viral infection. This is my 3rd time feeling like this so far this year. I had the flu shot every year. I am concearned of my blood result after I obtained a copy of it and saw a couple that was flagged. The nurse said it was all normal. Here are the results, I hope someone can tell me if I should worry?

wbc=9.5 (elevated for me), normally I am about 6-7
platelets=212 (norm for me)
polys=82 (flagged as high)
lymphs=10 (flagged as low)
monocytes=5
Eos=3
Basos=0
Polys (absolute)=7.8
lymphs (absolute)=1.0
monocytes (absolute)=0.5
Eos (absolute)=0.3
Baso (absolute)=0.0

At times I feel nauseous. I have alot of drainage with now, and my ears feel like they are stuffed up at times so I have to yawn or blow my nose to clear it up. HOpe someone can help....I am soo worried. Also, I do have bad allergy. Sorry to be soo lengthy and whiney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: Sick and Blood Test Results, can someone help?

wbc=9.5 (elevated for me), normally I am about 6-7 (Normal)

platelets=212 (norm for me) (Normal. In the middle)

polys=82 (flagged as high) (No Idea)

lymphs=10 (flagged as low) (Normal is 1500 to 3000/uL. This cell count is used in the diagnosis of AIDS. I AM NOT SAYING THAT YOU HAVE AIDS! just that it's used as a diagnostic tool for AIDS. Check with your doctor for more information on why this cell count could be low for you.)

monocytes=5 (Normal is 300 to 500/uL. Don't know if 3 = 300? Numbers in Canada are different than in USA. Low can mean an infection going on, most often a bacterial one.)

Eos=3 (Normal is 50 to 250/uL. Again don't know if your's is high or not. High counds can possibly be caused by: allergies, certain skin diseases, parasitic infection.)

Basos=0 (Normal is 15 to 50/uL. Again, I don't know what the "0" means in your blood work. Speak with your doctor.)

Polys (absolute)=7.8
lymphs (absolute)=1.0
monocytes (absolute)=0.5
Eos (absolute)=0.3
Baso (absolute)=0.0

I have no idea what "absolutes" mean. Again something to speak with your doctor about.

Last edited by Katyana; 04-01-2004 at 11:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 05:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Sick and Blood Test Results, can someone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommie2paul
I had a terribly sore throat and felt awful so I went to my doctor last Tuesday. He looked and my throat was red, my temp was about 99.3. He tested me for Mono, ordered CBC w/diff, and x-ray of my sinuses. He also sent to the lab a throat culture. All came back negative. My sinuses are normal. Did not put me on any medication. They said it was a allergy/viral infection. This is my 3rd time feeling like this so far this year. I had the flu shot every year. I am concearned of my blood result after I obtained a copy of it and saw a couple that was flagged. The nurse said it was all normal. Here are the results, I hope someone can tell me if I should worry?

wbc=9.5 (elevated for me), normally I am about 6-7
platelets=212 (norm for me)
polys=82 (flagged as high)
lymphs=10 (flagged as low)
monocytes=5
Eos=3
Basos=0
Polys (absolute)=7.8
lymphs (absolute)=1.0
monocytes (absolute)=0.5
Eos (absolute)=0.3
Baso (absolute)=0.0

At times I feel nauseous. I have alot of drainage with now, and my ears feel like they are stuffed up at times so I have to yawn or blow my nose to clear it up. HOpe someone can help....I am soo worried. Also, I do have bad allergy. Sorry to be soo lengthy and whiney
Your blood tests reveal that you have been fighting an allergy and winning.
The reason the doctor told you that you were negative is because you immune system is working the way it should.
If your results on your throat culture had come back active, and your test results looked like that there would be something to worry about.
Lymphocytes and absolute lymphocytes do not give you an accurate description of being HIV positive or negative. When testing for AIDS the CD4 count is what they go by and it is a very complicated test. I have seen people with full blown aids whose total Lymphocyte count is normal. Please don't worry about that 1.0 lymphocyte count because if the lymphocytes are doing their job, thats all you need.

Closed Thread