It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Blood Blister In Mouth

I have been having a problem getting a blood blister in my mouth about once every couple weeks. It seems to be happening more and more often. It is about the size of a pencil eraser. I am not biting the area to cause this accidentially. It is always in the same spot. It will just pop up all of the sudden and then be gone by the evening. It seems to come on right after eating. Can somone get a blood blister from being allergic or sensitive to a certain kind of food? I havn't narrowed any certain food though. I can eat something one day and be fine and then today right after I ate a granola bar it happened. I had one yesterday and was fine. It just concerns me because it is so big and it does not seem normal to just get a blood blister without some sort of injury to the area.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Blood Blister In Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari7171
I have been having a problem getting a blood blister in my mouth about once every couple weeks. It seems to be happening more and more often. It is about the size of a pencil eraser. I am not biting the area to cause this accidentially. It is always in the same spot. It will just pop up all of the sudden and then be gone by the evening. It seems to come on right after eating. Can somone get a blood blister from being allergic or sensitive to a certain kind of food? I havn't narrowed any certain food though. I can eat something one day and be fine and then today right after I ate a granola bar it happened. I had one yesterday and was fine. It just concerns me because it is so big and it does not seem normal to just get a blood blister without some sort of injury to the area.
Two things that come to mind off the top of my head are that you are either having a taste bud that is irritated by a preservative in your food, or you may be having a digestive problem that is really in your stomach. A lot of people I have known in the past would have acid reflux disease and eat something that caused excessive acid to be produced in the stomach lining. They could not feel the acid in their stomach, but their mouth would break out in those bumps because the digestive process was on overdrive. If it continues see your dentist or your internist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #3

itvilcu HB User

I have a blood disorder, called ITP. One of the major symtoms I get of it, is blood blisters on the roof of my mouth. I would advise you to go to the doctor/hospital, and get your platlettes checked. Too low of platlettes will cause this.

Tracie

Old 06-30-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

What do they do for treatment for that? What are the dangers if left untreated?

Old 06-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #5

itvilcu HB User

well, first of all, I am NOT saying you have low platlettes. I am basing everything on my own experiences and thats it.

First of all, I would go to the doctor and get a CBC done, to check the platlette level. They should be 150,000 to 300,00 I believe it is. If they are LOW, it will explain the blister(s) in your mouth. If they are low, any good doctor can and will put you on some type of steriod (usually pregnizone), which usually helps build up the platlette level (I know they dont ALWAYS work on people...myself being one of them). Also, he may want to keep a close eye on your platlettes. If they are low, and you start bleeding, your blood will not clot properly. Also, if they are very low, you risk spontanious bleeding as well as bleeding of the brain (the second being an extreme case).

There are many methods doctors try to use, to build the platlettes up to a safe or "normal" range. As mentioned, steriods is one, immuniglobulin is another (IV treatment......I HATED this one!!!). Also, in some cases, Chemo is used and in eextreme cases, removal of the spleen (the spleen produced an antibody which kills off the platlettes in your body, just as fast as they are created).

As mentioned to you earlier, it may just be acid reflux. But, I wouldnt sit around and wait for it to go away just incase it is something serious like low platlettes. I have been fighting this problem since September of last year, when I was hospitalized for three months because of it. So, I speak from experience when I tell you this. I have finally been able to get my platlettes up to a good target zone for me (100,000). That is still low, but it is a high for me!!!!

Tracie

Old 07-12-2004, 07:28 AM   #6

kellykay HB User

i have blood blisters and what i call blood spots in my mouth.they come and go too. i was tested for ITP. and the test was negative.. but there is are disorders that minic itp.,.
i tested positive for a rare form of systemic vasculitis. you need to have this checked out..

Closed Thread