It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
(female)

cin66 HB Usercin66 HB Usercin66 HB Usercin66 HB Usercin66 HB User
Risk of Blood Clot while on Warfarin

Hi there, becoming a little paranoid at the moment. I have previously suffered DVT and then PE (all in the past 4 months) The last couple of days my calf muscles are giving me pain, infact both my legs are in a lot of pain, they are warm to the touch and a bit swollen - also my shoulder is very tender. My doc says I am fairly theraputic at 2.4 (however my INR keeps dropping, so we up dose again etc.etc.) so says I could not get a blood clot. How accurate is this - is it IMPOSSIBLE to get another blood clot whilst taking warfarin. I just need to make sure...Thanx in advance, Cindy

Old 07-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
(female)

chd9860 HB User
Re: Risk of Blood Clot while on Warfarin

I would like to know the answer to your question too. My husband has a DVT and a PE in each lung. Diagnosed at the end of May. Starting this past week he says his leg is hurting and warm to the touch. His number was 2.5 when he had it checked last. I thought the warfarin was suppose to prevent more clots from forming but maybe I misunderstood.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 01:24 AM   #3
(female)

just mekap HB User

Blood thinners do just that thin the blood to allow it to pass around exhisting clots while the body breaks them down. Blood thinners don't stop the body from producing clots. There are only a couple of meds that break down clots and Warfarin isn't one of them. Please see your Dr for reassessment and a different treatment option. just mekap RN

Old 08-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
(female)

HaveNoLuck78 HB User

I, myself, have Factor V Leiden mutation which causes my blood to clot too much. Right from the start my doctors told me in regards to coumadin "your body can clot whether you are on coumadin or not...coumadin ONLY REDUCES YOUR RISK". Basically all coumadin can do is cut down on my chances.

I have been on coumadin since February of 2003 and have been hospitalized in September of 2003 with PEs and October of 2004 for a mild stroke.

If you have ANY pain that you think may be a clot, take it seriously, see your doctor. Better to be over worried then end up admitted and severely ill.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #5
(male)

Terry32579 HB User

I have experianced a second PE while taking coumadin with a INR of 4.5, the doctors were very concerned and placed me on 90mg every 12 hours of Lovenox for life. I moved to England and took it for three years from OCT96 to OCT99 then stopped with the doctors premission. Now am back in the US and I experianced another setback in Jun05. I am now back on Lovenox @110mg every 12 hours and am told again it is for life. Be carefull and do go directly to hospital if you think you have a clot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Terry32579 For This Useful Post:
andreanab (04-29-2012)
Old 08-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
(female)

Ali04 HB User

i am currently on 12mg of coumadin, and believe i am in range.

i just had a ct scan done of the chest showing vein occlusions in two veins.

yes, you can still have a clot (depending on the underlying cause of your clots) while on coumadin.
sorry for sounding so abrupt about it, but i thought no also, and i just got these results from a scan yesterday.

they dont even know what they are going to do with me yet

good luck.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
(female)

HaveNoLuck78 HB User

Good Luck Ali, hope things work out for you.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
(female)

sirenade HB User

My 13 year old daughter got a clot while on warafin. She has had alot of problems with her INR going up and down.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
(female)

shelley49001 HB User

I myself thought that taking coumadin would prevent future clots, the health care professionals aren't very clear, that is why we all have the internet to find out for ourselves! I have been taking coumadin for 3 months now, my levels are at present 2.3 which is a good thing or so I am told, but I still feel weird, I mean I was diagnosed with a 4 1/2 inch DVT in my left calf, but it doesn't seem to feel much different being on coumadin, I did have 8 lovenox shots in my stomach (of all places??) while I was in the hospital. Once I left, my levels were 1.9 so they thought it safe for me to leave and go home, only to end up in a bigger hospital the very next night with chest pains, so all those scans were done to rule out a clot that could have moved...thank god they didn't, but now my left foot is hurting really bad to where 750 mg of Vicodin doesn't even touch it and they say its from the blood pooling in my foot from the clot in my leg, but the pain in my foot is 100% worst then it was 3 months ago, thank god I go to see the doctor in a couple of days, but I had no idea that taking all of this stuff, we are still at risk of forming another clot, crap where does it all end? I got my clot from kicking a painting bucket in the dark, it started out as a goose egg on my shin...who would have thought about a blood clot at that time, I just wanted to pass out it hurt so bad!

Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #10
(female)

vegascalling HB User

I just went in this morning for my blood work and had a dopler done to make sure I don't have another clot. I've already had 4 clots in my right leg in the last 19 years. My 'normal' INR is 2-3. A few weeks ago it was 3.6 and today it was 1.9, but my leg has been swelling a lot(like an anchor tied to my leg). Yes, it is possible to get another clot while taking coumadin(trust me I know), that's why your blood should be monitored monthly. I don't have a new clot, just a lot of scar tissue blocking the veins in my legs. I've done heparin, lovenox, and coumadin. If your INR jumps around a lot ask your doctor to prescribe Jantovan brand warfarin. That's what I take and my INR doesn't jump around as much as it did while taking other generic coumadin.

Closed Thread