It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 09:29 PM   #1

naisy HB User
Red dots on skin - anyone else have this symptom diagnosed?

Over the past year, I have been getting red dots on my skin. They are not raised and not itchy --> but they are bright red and increasing in number.

They are mainly on my upper arms and chest, but I do have some on my thighs, lower arms, and neck.

I went to a dermatologist who said that they were nothing to worry about and no one knew the cause. I am nervous about this diagnosis because these red dots just keep coming!

Someone suggested that it could be a problem with my blood. I found a couple of articles on it -- but I am hoping that people here can share their personal experiences and advice with me.

I'm going to my doctor soon to get a referral to a hematologist... but in the meantime, I can't help but wonder what could be wrong with me and how they will diagnose it!

Thanks for sharing any experience or advice.

The following user gives a hug of support to naisy:
Osaphire (07-12-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to naisy For This Useful Post:
whitedodge (07-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 03:47 AM   #2
(female)

Leanne R HB User
Re: Red dots on skin - anyone else have this symptom diagnosed?

just a quick thought, My friend gets that when he is run-down and it almost always presents itself with a sore throat. We think it's a reoccuring virus or something. Do you feel under the weather too when the rash appears?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 08:14 AM   #3

Flipppy HB User

I would get to a hemotologist asap. Go read my post under "skin problems" I think that's the one skin something, just look for my post NOW!!! Please.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:22 AM   #4

Flipppy HB User

ok I finally went to the doctor. It's called Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura, or I.T.P. Basically my platelets are in the danger zone. About 70 thousand is normal mine were 3000, and after 2 days in the hospital are currently 7000. Not good. If they don't go up they take my spleen out. If that doesn't work I'm toast.
Thanks for caring.
Flip

Here.I just clipped and pasted the post.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:25 PM   #5

dpowell01 HB User

I also have pinpoint red dots on skin, however, I just had a total extensive blood workup and everything was in normal range? What did they say was happening to your spleen?

Old 07-15-2004, 06:07 PM   #6

Flipppy HB User

My spleen is eating my platelets. The I.V meds while I was in the hospital are supposed to bring up the platelet count, which it is doing so far. It also might be a tempoary fix. I'm also taking prednizone which is supposed to bring them up as well.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:09 PM   #7

Flipppy HB User

If you also have unexplained bruising or unusual bleeding, those were red flag warnings for this.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #8
(female)

99 stang HB User

I have had this pinpoint red dots on my skin for the last 3 months. First I thought it was the new medicine on was on to help bring my platelets down, since I had my spleen out in Feb. my platelets have gone off the wall!! I have Hemolytic anemia since last Aug. when my red count was 4.3 had to spend 2 wks in the hospital to try and get the count up. After finally being release with a count of 7.5 but I was still having problems keeping them up. So after a long fight to keep my spleen I finally gave it to them!!!! Now I have this other problem with the platelets. I see my hemo tomorrow and I have been doing some research and I think I have Lupus???? I have this horrible joint pain in my fingers, arms etc. Well good luck, maybe I can find out what my red dots are LOL

Old 07-22-2004, 09:48 PM   #9

Flipppy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 stang
I have had this pinpoint red dots on my skin for the last 3 months. First I thought it was the new medicine on was on to help bring my platelets down, since I had my spleen out in Feb. my platelets have gone off the wall!! I have Hemolytic anemia since last Aug. when my red count was 4.3 had to spend 2 wks in the hospital to try and get the count up. After finally being release with a count of 7.5 but I was still having problems keeping them up. So after a long fight to keep my spleen I finally gave it to them!!!! Now I have this other problem with the platelets. I see my hemo tomorrow and I have been doing some research and I think I have Lupus???? I have this horrible joint pain in my fingers, arms etc. Well good luck, maybe I can find out what my red dots are LOL
Go to www.pdsa.org. It's a support group for ITP. They can answer your questions. I am just learning and don't want to give any misinformation. I know what the red dots are called but I can't spell it. But it's a sign your platelets are low. Go to the site, it's very informative.
Good luck, Flipppy

Old 07-23-2004, 03:58 PM   #10
(female)

99 stang HB User

No I don't have the bruising or unusual bleeding and I did see my **** today not that he answered any of my questions when I told him I think I have Lupus, he just wants me to go to a skin doctor and get a biopsy???? Well at least my red count is up to 9.7 but my white count is still high, wants me to continue on Hydroxyurea meds.
thanks I did check out that website for ITP but alot of the complains from peeps are a low count my is high. Thanks will be looking for your post to see if you have to surrender your spleen as I did .....but only after they keep pushing me to get it. LOL

Old 07-23-2004, 04:30 PM   #11

Flipppy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 stang
No I don't have the bruising or unusual bleeding and I did see my **** today not that he answered any of my questions when I told him I think I have Lupus, he just wants me to go to a skin doctor and get a biopsy???? Well at least my red count is up to 9.7 but my white count is still high, wants me to continue on Hydroxyurea meds.
thanks I did check out that website for ITP but alot of the complains from peeps are a low count my is high. Thanks will be looking for your post to see if you have to surrender your spleen as I did .....but only after they keep pushing me to get it. LOL

Ya know what? Right now it would take an act of congress to get my spleen outta me. I am just NOT going to do that unless everything else fails.
< standing firm for once>
Flip

Old 07-24-2004, 12:05 AM   #12

graycee HB User

I had them also. They were showing up all over, Dr. had know idea, so after along search on the net, found out all my problems could be caused by statin drugs. Quit lipitor and now after a year they are going away, along with my other problems. Wish yours could be resolved as easily, not that my mucle problems are anywhere easy, but you know what I mean....

Old 07-24-2004, 08:33 AM   #13

Flipppy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycee
I had them also. They were showing up all over, Dr. had know idea, so after along search on the net, found out all my problems could be caused by statin drugs. Quit lipitor and now after a year they are going away, along with my other problems. Wish yours could be resolved as easily, not that my mucle problems are anywhere easy, but you know what I mean....
Don't know what your muscle problems are, but magneseum < spelling?>helps me with that. Ask your doc
Flipppy

Old 07-30-2004, 11:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

pettechia?

Old 07-30-2004, 02:37 PM   #15

Flipppy HB User

Yes, pettechia.

Closed Thread