It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
(female)

rainbowdawn HB User
Long time for bleeding to stop...

My son, age 14, 2 nights ago cut himself somehow and it took at least a half hour for the bleeeding to stop. It was just a small wound but quite a bit of blood. We were at a motel and he had been in a swimming pool, hot tub and bath tub for more than 2 hours and I was wondering if this could have been to blame. He has had MANY cuts and several surgeries and never had this before. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 08-07-2004, 01:42 PM   #2

-T- HB User
Re: Long time for bleeding to stop...

Has your son ever experienced heavy bleeding before? Anemia? Is there a family history of bleeding heavily? How did you get the bleeding to stop? Does he bruise easily and is this the first time anything like this has happened?

Sorry for all the questions Im just trying to get an overall picture before I reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
(female)

rainbowdawn HB User

There is no family history of anemia or anything like that. It has never happened before. He does not bruise very much. We tried running the wound under cool water, sticking a piece of kleenex in the woundand finally direct, firm pressure worked. It is near his elbow on the inside of his arm. Thanks for any ideas you might have!

Old 08-16-2004, 07:52 PM   #4

ACE1908 HB User

I have recently been having problems with taking a long time to stop bleeding also. I would say for about the last month. I am very dark so i dont bruise easily (i.e no dark spots) but i do have sore spots on my body. I gave blood two weeks ago and when they *****ed my finger it bleed for about 10 minutes even after the nurse dabbed it with cotton. Today i started bleeding around my eye which i thought was a scratch. I cleaned the area up and it started bleeding again. This went on for about 30 minutes.

Old 09-02-2004, 03:07 PM   #5

-T- HB User

Sorry I've took so long in replying. I forgot to add this site to my favourites

Thats good that there is no history of Anemia or anything like that. I would keep an eye on his bleeding. Pay close attention to him if he falls over or bangs a body part or especially if he bruisies quite easily.

If he has another bleeding episode it might be a good idea to take him to the doctors to have some clotting factors done just to make sure this isn't causing the excess bleeding.

ACE - I think you should see your Doctor to, just to make sure nothing is going on with your blood. Clotting factor is usually the one which makes you bleed longer than usual so go to the doctors and have this checked. You should get your results in about 10-14days and meanwhile you can get checked over to make sure everything is ok.

Closed Thread