It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2004, 05:19 PM   #1

rancherstud1978 HB User
Exclamation Exercise and Blood Clots

I am a 25 y/o male that developed a blood clot from the groin all the way to mid calf. I went in on July 1 and discharged on July 8. I take coumadin 10mg every other day and 12 mg the days in between. The hematologist got reports back saying that I have an increased level of homocystines, Factor 5 deficiency, and Lupus Anticoagulant. I was also put on FolTx that contains Folic Acid, Vitamin B6 and 12. Anyway, my question is: At what point can I start being active again. When will the swelling go away. Will walking a couple of miles a day be harmful? Thanks for the inputs.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:29 PM   #2

MargieRuth HB User
Re: Exercise and Blood Clots

Actually the person or persons to ask are your physicians. They certainly have a better knowledge of your problem then we layman have. Don't be shy about asking the Doc, I assume you see him for checkups. I had a deep vein thrombosis and was in the hospital for a week, and than saw doc, and he allowed me to go back about 2 weeks after bedrest with bathroom privileges. I now see him every 3 months. The coumadin was continued for 6 months with regular protimes taken.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2004, 01:15 AM   #3

liana28 HB User

10 mg every other day!? wow. i've had dvt since march (it SHOULD be gone by now, i was just taken off my coumadin) i took 2 mg a day. i was told not to do a lot of exercise besides walking a lot (not stairs or anything) just incase the clots moved..

Old 10-03-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

linz0614 HB User

I had a blood clot in my leg that traveled to my lung in OCT 2003, however I did not start back on my regular exercise program until FEB 2004. I was still on coumadin at the time. My exercise consists of 60 min of cardio and 20 min of weights 5 days a week. I am now off of coumadin but I have chronic swelling and sometimes have cramping.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:18 PM   #5

MargieRuth HB User

Linz0614 - My ankles, especially, were swollen for a long time after the Coumadin was stopped, and my R leg was s/w bigger than my left after the DVT and Coumadin. My ankles are a purple color on both sides now so summer sandels were not an option. I do wear support hose anyhow so another reason sandels (spelling doesn't look right) were out. I had stinging in my leg for awhile also. I didn't have any recommendation for exercise, but my job involved a lot of walking. Things are good with my leg now. The DVT was on Sept 9, 2001. I'll never forget the day because 9/11 happened while I was in the hospital. My blood clot did not travel, so I am thankful for that. Hope your recovery will be accomplished without residual effects. Regards, Maggie

Old 10-05-2004, 05:25 AM   #6

carole99 HB User

I am a 38 year old female, with dvt in left upper thigh. Have been walking, and doing upperbody weights at home. Fear of doing too much with lower body. I as well have been taking 10 mg of coumadin. Two months now and my INR still jumps from 1.5-3. When my dose is increased I have severe headaches, and have had some numbness in left side of face. My DVT was caused by prolonged sitting while travelling. I guess I am following the better to be safe than sorry motto. Good luck. And I guess the best way to look at this is that it is a temporary situation. Just a little speed bump in the road of life

Old 10-05-2004, 07:18 AM   #7

liana28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole99
I am a 38 year old female, with dvt in left upper thigh. Have been walking, and doing upperbody weights at home. Fear of doing too much with lower body. I as well have been taking 10 mg of coumadin. Two months now and my INR still jumps from 1.5-3. When my dose is increased I have severe headaches, and have had some numbness in left side of face. My DVT was caused by prolonged sitting while travelling. I guess I am following the better to be safe than sorry motto. Good luck. And I guess the best way to look at this is that it is a temporary situation. Just a little speed bump in the road of life
my INR would vary so much also. at one point, when i first began, it was at 7.2!!! (needing to be between 2 and 3)

Old 10-14-2004, 12:28 AM   #8

pookah HB User

my doctors all said to start exercising immediately after release from the hospital. in fact, the pulmonologist had me doing laps (walking) around the ward during my last days there.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:53 AM   #9

Hawk- HB User

How do you know if you have a blood clot?

Old 10-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #10

liana28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-
How do you know if you have a blood clot?
my leg was sore and swollen

Closed Thread