It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 09:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User
Why is this bruising happening?

Hi everyone, I have a question but I'm not sure if it's really a blood disorder.

I am in process of diagnosis for whatever is wrong with me, possibly lupus. Anyway, one of my symptoms is easy bruising which comes and goes. I am currently in the "comes" stage again of my bruising. I have several small bruises which I have no idea what I did to get them. Also when I do get a "contusion" of some type, the bruise is very large, quite exaggerated for the injury (if that makes sense). Example: I got hit with a softball on my calf, not extremely hard and in one small spot and I got a bruise on the entire front of my calf that is larger than my hand. My large bruises also seem to stay around for longer than normal (several weeks) and itch like crazy (this may be normal, I'm not sure). They seem to me like I just bled excessively under my skin for the injury sustained.

I've had lots of blood work done lately, my CBC is always pretty normal, platelets are all okay and no anemia. I also had a lupus anticoagulant that was normal. The only thing abnormal (and it was barely out of the reference range) was the thrombin time. Does anybody else have this happen to them. When this occurs, it will go on for a month or two and then I'll have 3-4 months or more when everything is normal. I'm wondering if I should have my blood work repeated now that I'm experiencing this symptom currently. I'm also wondering if there's anything I should watch out for as I've heard large bruises can make you more susceptible to blood clots, is this true? Also, is the intense itching I experience at the site of the bruise normal?

I just thought I'd ask any "experts" or "experienced" on this board to see if I could find any answers or input. Thanks very much for listening!
Love,
Shawnee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #2

kkbug HB User
Re: Why is this bruising happening?

I have VOnWillebrand's disease which causes excessive bruising, teeth bleeds during detal visits, heavy menstrual cycle, nosebleeds.

Old 09-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #3

seawater HB User

Are you taking a lot of vitamins? An overdose of Vitamin E can cause bruising.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

I'm not taking vitamins at all but try to eat a balanced diet. I have had a big bruise on my lower leg for over two months now due to something that shouldn't have left such a large bruise. It is still quite tender, my hubby said today when he accidentally touched it, "that's still tender?? that's not right, it's been two months". So I'm going to my doctor in a week about some other things and I'm going to ask him about it to see if he can give me any help. Maybe testing is in order. My platelets are always fine when I have CBC done but maybe they're not functioning right or something. Thank you so much for your replies!!
Have a great day!
Love,
SHawnee

Old 09-19-2004, 09:50 PM   #5
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

The medicine Plavix, can cause excessive bruising.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

My mean platelet volume (MPV) is low and so is my mean corpusul volume (MCV) but those are the only two that are abnormal in my cbc. I've read that this can mean that your blood cells are immature?? I'm wondering if the mean platelet volume thingy could be a contributing factor to this?? Anyone have any ideas? I've decided that when this easy bruising enters into its "active" period again I am going to have another CBC done to detect abnormalities that may come and go with my bruising... we'll see.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:19 PM   #7

mkinder123 HB User

Hi my name is Michelle, I was just wondering if you are taking any blood thinning medicines. Coumadin, Lovinox, Fragmin, Heperin, Wafarin. All of these medicines would cause you to bruise easy. I get alot of bruses too. I do take a blood thinner everyday though. I have to give myself a shot in the stomach everyday and you can only imagine what my stomach looks like.( NOT PRETTY) My hemotologist said for me not to worry about the bruises. He said that I would get them when I would hit a vein or something when giving the shot. As far as getting a blood clot from a bruise it is possible, but not likely. I have a blood clotting disorder and have never gotten a blood clot from a bruise. Just try and stay safe about being hurt or definitly after a surgery or a broke bone. That is how some people get clots. I hope I have helped. If you have anymore questions just ask away.I hope you get to feeling well and not so sore.Take Care
Michelle

Old 10-02-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

Thanks Michelle--
You have been quite helpful indeed! I do not take any blood thinning medications and never have. I think what I am going to do is next time I have an "on-again" period where I experience the bruising excessively, I am going to go in at that time and ask for a CBC to be done while the bruising is going on. That way if I do have a platelet problem that is coming and going then I will be able to tell when it is possibly present in my blood numbers. I'm sorry about the shots, that sounds like no fun at all! Thanks again for your reply, I really appreciate it!
Wishing you well!
Shawnee

Old 10-15-2004, 06:25 AM   #9

Peekaboo971 HB User

I have Von Willebrands too, and one of the side effects of that is easy bruising, and I mean EASY bruising. There are a couple of different types. I for one never had any reason to wonder why I had it. The only reason I did find out was because I was going to go on heparin while trying to get pregnant, and then they said they couldn't put me on a blood thinner since VW is a clotting disorder. You might want to inquire about getting a blood draw and ruling this out, and once you rule it out, if you do have it, find out the type you do have. It's honestly not a huge deal, but it's something that you want medical folks to know about before surgeries, etc.

I hope you can get some answers!

Old 10-15-2004, 06:28 AM   #10

Peekaboo971 HB User

Oh yeah, I meant to mention. My doctor said taking baby aspirin for extended periods of time can cause bruising too. I don't know if you're taking that... but just wanted to pass along something I had heard.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:16 PM   #11

liana28 HB User

i bruised a lot from lovenox and coumadin

Old 10-20-2004, 01:59 PM   #12

Outfield HB User

Whats you CBC numbers? I have ITP a blood platelet disorder that is a result of the bodies inability to produce enough platelets. There are a number of reasons out there, but you want to be sure to rule all of them out.

For more info check out [url]www.pdsa.org[/url]

Collin

Old 10-21-2004, 09:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

Thanks very much!! I'm going to go search that site to see what i can find. As far as my CBC, everything is within normal range except my MPV (mean platelet volume) is low and my MCV (mean corpusal volume is low). I've also had the Lupus Anticoagulant done and my INR was quite low but I don't know if that means anything or not if you're not on blood thinners. Also my thrombin (clot) time was slightly elevated. I'm even wondering about possibly being slightly anemic or heading towards anemia even though my numbers are still okay. I was wondering what your disease is like and how you found that you had it?? Also wondering about Von Willebrands (I know I didn't spell that right) and what tests you have to have a diagnosis. In the meantime, I'm going to go to that site and see what i can learn. Thanks again for your responses and your help!!
Love,
SHawnee

Old 10-24-2004, 11:58 AM   #14

-T- HB User

Have you tried asking for a blood clotting test? I can't remember the name of this test but its just a simple blood test with an injection in your arm which see's how well your blood is clotting. It will help to rule out any blood disorders.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:50 PM   #15
(female)

Kime HB User

Easy bruising can be a sign of subclinical scurvy. You could try taking a couple of grams of C a day for a week or two to see if it makes a difference. You may already take vitamin C, but a lot of things like stress or any exposure to a virus can lower the levels of C in your body and make you more prone to bruising.

Last edited by Kime; 10-25-2004 at 07:52 PM.

Closed Thread