It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

horsejody HB User
Blood clots in my fingers

A few years ago I started having occasional blood clots in my fingers. A finger would swell, go numb and turn purple. It would stay bruised for a few days. At the time I had a quack doctor that said it was probably spider bites or insect bites causing it. The same doctor also missed that I had diabetes, despite the fact that I was having annual blood glucose tests at her office. Eventually I got sick from the diabetes and went to a new doctor to find answers. Anyway, about a year ago, I went to the new doctor and showed him how one of my fingers had turned purple again. He immediately said that it was not a bite of any kind and that it appeared to be a blood clot. He took me off birth controll pills and told me to take aspirin to prevent further problems with the clots. The problem seemed to go away for a while. But the problem with my fingers has started again. The ring finger on my right hand swelled and turned purple. It appeared to start to heal in about 2 days and then turned darker again. I left a message at the doctor's office this morning, and I am sure he will return my call. However, I know from first hand experience that doctors do not know everything. Has anyone reading this had any similar experience or have any suggestions. I will also add that my hands are always cold and and can be painful when exposed to the cold (like getting ice out of the freezer or working outside in the winter). I have a family history of heart disease and had blood clots in my legs when I was pregnant many years ago.
Thanks,
Jody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread