It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
(male)

bedixamanwa HB User
Low Mean Platelet Volume (MPV) ?

Hi everybody.I am a 21-year old male. i have had complete blood count twice in the last two months because of bowel movement disorders. All seemed allright but whereas MPV was 8.2 in the first one, it is 7.2 in the second. And that is lower than the range. The doctor also after some stool tests told me that i have nothing wrong. But i still worry.What can be the possible reasons of this decrease in the MPV?
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Low Mean Platelet Volume (MPV) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedixamanwa
Hi everybody.I am a 21-year old male. i have had complete blood count twice in the last two months because of bowel movement disorders. All seemed allright but whereas MPV was 8.2 in the first one, it is 7.2 in the second. And that is lower than the range. The doctor also after some stool tests told me that i have nothing wrong. But i still worry.What can be the possible reasons of this decrease in the MPV?
Thanks.
The MPV stands for mean(average) platelet Volume. This is a test that does a relative measurement of blood platelets in one drop of blood. If you have had an injury or illness in which a small loss of blood occurred. The MPV could temporarily reflect that some platelets were used to repair an injury or leak. Same holds true for minor surgery etc. If it is a temporary condition lasting no longer than 3 months, then it is a normal reaction to a normal event. If it continues to be low or other blood counts start to drop as well, then the doctor needs to reevaluate the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
(male)

akajester HB User
Re: Low Mean Platelet Volume (MPV) ?

I was diagnosed with gall bladder stones 2 years ago. I opted not to have my gb out, which means that sometimes I have small gb attacks that affect my liver enzymes, etc. I also have some bowel issues. I need to eat alot of fiber, yogurt, fresh fruits and take some flax oil supplements to keep myself regular.
I've been extremely tired lately so I went in for some blood work. The results show Total CO2 as high (31) and MPV was low (7.6). The doctor told me that was normal. I'm still wondering why I'm so tired all the time. I also wonder if a correlation exists between bowel issues, the gall bladder and low MPV counts.

Closed Thread