HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Blood and Blood Vessel (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/blood-blood-vessel/)
-   -   Blood vessels in Hands bursting for no reason...why? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/blood-blood-vessel/26926-blood-vessels-hands-bursting-no-reason-why.html)

HAAR 05-03-2003 01:46 AM

Blood vessels in Hands bursting for no reason...why?

My blood vessels in my hands are breaking for no reason. Why?
This happens once every one or two months. And has gone on for a year or two. The bruising that remains is significant.
The doc had a couple of tests run and the results are normal. I'm 47 yrs. None of the meds I take can cause this, the doc said.
Each time it burns sooo bad and the swelling of the blood entering under the skin is sooo painful I have to run immediatly to get ice. The ice has to remain on my finger for hours. It also reman painful for the rest of the day or longer.
I have no gum bleeding.
What could this be?

mamaJ 08-01-2003 04:29 PM

I have the same thing. If you know what it is please let me know.

Sampy123 08-02-2003 05:46 AM

I have had the exact same thing for years, never knowing what it was. The pain can be unbearable. Usually, the bloodvessels are tiny and burst open all by themselves and aren't anything to worry about. However, in my case, my platelets were sticking together and forming small clots. You could actually feel the pea-sized bubble on top of the skin before it bursts. I was told to take a baby aspirin once a day to thin the blood. I have had recent open heart surgery for blood clots and the only reason I'm mentioning this is that since I was put on Coumadin, I have not had even one of those episodes with the blood vessels bursting. So I would advise you ask your physician to see if you're platelets are sticking together, maybe a baby aspirin daily is all you would need but let your doctor guide you accordingly. It may be nothing at all, but I know how uncomfortable it can be. Hope you get some answers and relief.

mamaJ 08-02-2003 02:08 PM

Thank you very much. At least I have an idea of what it may be and am not alone.

flow44 04-29-2007 07:15 PM

Re: Blood vessels in Hands bursting for no reason...why?

I have had this happen to me as well. I had a vessel break in my finger two days ago. Then in my palm today. I was sitting both times, not engaged in any activity! I did mention this to my doctor after the first time. He suggested that I may be low in vitamin C. I am going to try supplementing and will let you know what happens. I do have a family history of stoke in my family. What about anyone else?

deanneo2007 06-01-2007 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=flow44;2952885]I have had this happen to me as well. I had a vessel break in my finger two days ago. Then in my palm today. I was sitting both times, not engaged in any activity! I did mention this to my doctor after the first time. He suggested that I may be low in vitamin C. I am going to try supplementing and will let you know what happens. I do have a family history of stoke in my family. What about anyone else?[/QUOTE]

deanneo2007 06-01-2007 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=deanneo2007;3019660][/QUOTE]

I have had this happen in my finger and yesterday on the palm of my hand. Do you know what it is or the cause? I get megadoses of vitamin c, I cant believe that could cause it. Its very painful and kind of scary. I am 47 and thought to be in good health.

Karla111 09-13-2007 01:18 AM

Mine break in the wrists, both right and left. The bruising is so profound that it can be seen half way up my arm. My Dr. said it was from extreme overuse, but this doesn't make sense because sometimes it happens when I'm doing light work. Also it happens in both right and left wrists (at different times). The pain can be profound and ice can help. If anyone knows what causes this please let us know? Thanks.

toniboney1957 08-31-2008 11:50 AM

Hi, I just joined today because, my hand started bleeding and my daughter that is in nursing school told me it was a blood vessel that burst. I'm 50 and thought I was too young for that but, I am a retired hairdresser and my hands get cuts and bleed from being so dry...so, I have to use steriod cream on them all the time and it makes my skin thin. I guess that's why mine does it. I'm wondering if you have the same problem if you've found out why yours were bleeding. Thanks, Toni;)