It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 07:14 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 75
toolbox HB User
Post sores that don't heal

quite embarassing...

I have two that just will not go away. any suggestions?

Cause and solution would be great b

 
Old 08-11-2003, 09:13 PM   #2
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: London, ON
Posts: 667
projapoti HB User
Post

Even fully trained doctors aren't magicians!!! You need to give more information about yourself.

How old are you?
Where are the sores?
How long have they been there?
Are they painful?
Do they bleed?
Do you smoke?
Do you have a clotting disorder?

etc. etc. etc.

You have to give me something more to work with here.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-12-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 433
Sampy123 HB User
Post

Have you been checked for diabetes? Classic sign is sores that don't heal. Just a thought.

 
Old 08-12-2003, 07:57 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 75
toolbox HB User
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by projapoti:
Even fully trained doctors aren't magicians!!! You need to give more information about yourself.

How old are you?
Where are the sores?
How long have they been there?
Are they painful?
Do they bleed?
Do you smoke?
Do you have a clotting disorder?

etc. etc. etc.

You have to give me something more to work with here.
I'm 30
I have one on the top of my foot and one on the same leg, mid calf.
They've been there about 4 months
They aren't painful, just irritating
The one on my calf bleeds because I pick at it on occasion
And yes, I smoke
I haven't inquired about a clotting disorder, so I don't know if I do or don't.

The second poster mentioned diabetes... I've thought for some time that I should get tested, but given my age, I would think this issue would have shown up by now... I don't know, is diabetes something that can happen at my age?

Thanks for your responses!



 
Old 08-12-2003, 08:15 PM   #5
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: London, ON
Posts: 667
projapoti HB User
Post

Sampy good call on the diabetes!!

Yes...diabetes type II is something that can definitely happen at your age. Are you overweight by any chance? Because that increases your risk for Type II Diabetes even further.

Smoking, as you know, also slows the rate of healing in your body. There are also certain skin conditions like pyoderma gangrenosum which can be the cutaneous manifestations of things that are happening in the body (like inflammatory bowel disease). Do you have any other health troubles other than the non healing sores on your skin?

Thanks to Sampy again for mentioning diabetes (I totally forgot about that, and that's bad!) get checked out.

 
Old 08-13-2003, 08:58 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 75
toolbox HB User
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by projapoti:
Sampy good call on the diabetes!!

Yes...diabetes type II is something that can definitely happen at your age. Are you overweight by any chance? Because that increases your risk for Type II Diabetes even further.

Smoking, as you know, also slows the rate of healing in your body. There are also certain skin conditions like pyoderma gangrenosum which can be the cutaneous manifestations of things that are happening in the body (like inflammatory bowel disease). Do you have any other health troubles other than the non healing sores on your skin?

Thanks to Sampy again for mentioning diabetes (I totally forgot about that, and that's bad!) get checked out.
I'm extremely underweight actually - small woman here - I'm very anemic... circulation could be an issue. Is it only overweight folks who have diabetes?...


 
Old 08-14-2003, 08:37 AM   #7
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: London, ON
Posts: 667
projapoti HB User
Post

No...but if you are overweight, you are more at risk for developing Type II diabetes.

 
Old 08-16-2003, 06:34 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 75
toolbox HB User
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by projapoti:
No...but if you are overweight, you are more at risk for developing Type II diabetes.
Okay - then what could be causing my sores not healing? Didn't get many answers here...

I'm very petite, I'm anemic, my body fat is like nil, eat very healthy, but I have sores that just won't go away... guess i'll reach for the neosporin. ah well. guess i'm the only one that has gone through this issue... perhaps... nevermind...


 
Old 08-17-2003, 05:09 AM   #9
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 433
Sampy123 HB User
Post

Don't ignore the possibility of diabetes. You do NOT have to be overweight to get it. In fact, weight loss is also a sign of it, along with sores that do not heal. Ask your doctor, it's just a bloodtest.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
leisions and sores?? liznip Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) 4 01-04-2009 09:55 PM
skin sores that don't heal amber2424 Skin Problems 0 09-22-2008 07:53 PM
sores on scars??? froggy123 Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery 4 04-08-2006 11:47 AM
Kanka is the BEST for mouth sores wintersun Dental Health 0 12-17-2005 08:49 PM
Cold Sores Talonsmomma Fibromyalgia 13 05-04-2005 01:41 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!