It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2003, 07:44 PM   #1

estemmer HB User
Unhappy Huge Hematoma, DVT and PE post accident

I just found this board by doing a search trying to figure out what is wrong with me, looks to be a good source of helpful people and information. Please excuse the following if it is too wordy

I was in an accident on a mountain road where a car was crossing through my lane as I came around a turn. I don't remember anything about it because I received a concussion and was knocked unconscious. First thing I remember is the next day in ths hospital to hear that I had been in an accident and was airlifted to the hospital. Other than my head the only thing that hurt was my right thigh. Other than the concussion my only real injury was a severe hematoma on my thigh, I was told that I was and considered myself very lucky.

The hematoma on my thigh has been measured as 28x28cm across and even 7 weeks later my right thigh is still 5+ inches bigger around than my left. Within a week or so of the accident I began physical therapy for my leg, and was warned by my doctor that there was a potential for clots, but because of the size of the hematoma, she didn't want to risk increased bleeding. Being fairly young and healthy, I didn't put too much worry into the potential for clots.

A month went by and my head continued to feel better but the hematoma remained as large as ever (though was less firm). A month to the day from the accident, I woke up with severe right chest pain that was worse when I breathed in. To keep it short, I ended up with two relatively small Pulmonary Embolisms (found by CT), and have a DVT (found by ultrasound) in my right calf. I spent 5 days in the hospital and am now on coumadin for at least 6 months. I still wake up with chest pain from time to time, and now worry alot about pains I used to ignore.

I also seem to be in an aweful catch-22... a vascular surgeon took a look at the hematoma while I was in the hospital, but because of the blood thinners was reluctant to even suggest any aggressive treatment. Since the hematoma is a continuing source of pain and potential for further clots, I feel stuck in limbo.

I have a number of questions:

Other than taking coumadin for an extended period, do they do further CTs to verify that the clots have dissolved on their own? When will I be able to say that I am PE and DVT free???

Is the risk of bleeding/bruises really that bad while on coumadin/warfarin?

Anybody know how long a hematoma of this size should take to heal without intervention (there are also hard lumps forming in it)???

If you've read this far, thanks . I'd love to hear any experience or advice that may help me understand what is going on.

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by estemmer (edited 09-06-2003).]

[This message has been edited by estemmer (edited 09-15-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 04:46 PM   #2

abd HB User
Hello,

Im sorry to hear about your PE and DVT. Sounds like a crazy accident!

Heres my short story version of how my DVT occured. I am a young, healthy, and active person. I was 22 weeks pregnant and i fell down a flight of stairs. Two weeks later i was diagnosed with DVT of the left leg. I had all the classic signs...redness, swelling, pain. Any way i was hospitalized for 5 days and started on Fraxiparine (i was in europe at the time-thats another story) a Low Molecular Weight Heparin. Any way because i was pregnant i was not started on Warfarin until after i delivered my baby. I was on Warfarin for 12 weeks. I have now been off warfarin therapy for 2 weeks. I too have a heightend alert of every ache that happens to me. I have been to the ER twice since my DVT b/c of leg pain behind my knee and tightness in my chest. All test came back negative. Thank God, but then i ask why the pain? I have a follow up ultrasound of my leg and a follow up with the hematologist soon. So i am going to ask him why the pain is still there.

Any way you can ask your dr to order an ultrasound of your leg and i would imagine that you could also ask for a follow up CT scan too. Its your health after all.
I know the longer you are on warfarin the higher your risk becomes for bleeding.

Hope this helps a little.

Closed Thread