It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2004, 11:46 AM   #31

sjd HB User
Re: High Platelet Count

I would keep an eye on your platelets but not worry them at this time. It was not long ago that 450k was considered in the normal range. (2001) Follow up with another cbc in a few months. My platelets were 970k before there was any notice paid by my doctor. Platelets naturally fluctuate from week to week but usually not by much. Just my opinion but hope it helps.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:04 PM   #32
(female)

sapphire12112 HB User

Barb - I found out last Oct. when I had a hysterectomy that my blood platelets were, I believe, 761,000. Over the months they have gone a little higher and a little lower. Last month, 711,000. Had tooth infection/root canal in Dec. & thought that might be the answer (as doctor said infection can elevate platelets). Saw Dr. yesterday and should get results Monday. Tested negative for Rheumatoid factor. I have hypothyroidism - diagnosed about 5 or 6 years ago - thyroid nodules 3 years ago which motivated me to start medication (100 mcg Synthroid). Having headaches almost daily on upper left side of head (possibly sinus problems, but told Dr.). Does anyone else feel that their veins hurt from time to time? I am a 52 year old white female. I just found this site tonight and am so thankful!!! After almost 6 months we still do not know the cause. If it goes much higher he will do bone marrow test. Yesterday Dr. prescribed 325 mg. iron 2 or 3 times a day. I wish each of you well in controlling this problem. sapphire12112

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 06:39 AM   #33
(female)

sapphire12112 HB User

I meant to post my abnormal blood test results from March.
High: Red Blood Cell Count 5.86 (range 3.80-5.10); Hematocrit 45.5 (range 35.0-45.0); RDW 17.1 (range 11.0-15.0); and of course platelets 711,000.

Low: Carbon Dioxide 20 (range 21-33); MCV 77.6 (range 80.0-100.0); MCH 25.8 (range 27.0-33.0).

My gynecologist told me to take an aspirin a day (due to the high platelet count) but my hematologist didn't seem to think it was necessary.

My mother had Alzheimer's. Does anyone know if Alzheimer's could be linked to a high platelet count? My mother's dad and 3 of her siblings had forms of dementia - developing symptoms when they were probably in their mid-70s. I wonder if the high platelet count could prevent enough oxygen from getting to the brain...

Last edited by sapphire12112; 05-02-2004 at 02:37 PM.

Old 05-10-2004, 08:09 PM   #34

mamisano HB User

Mom has suffered with high platelet count for years (10+). She used to take Hydrea daily to keep her counts down, but in the past 6 years she has been dealing with chemotherapy for Ovarian Cancer....which totally throws off her counts. She sees a Hem/Onc weekly and has her dosage adjusted appropriately.

Regards,
Michael Amisano

Old 08-14-2004, 08:19 AM   #35
Inactive
(male)

regor201 HB User

Came up with High Platelets from blood work.....595. Since the initial test, it has fluctuated in the middle to high 400's. Have seen two hematologists. They recommended chest X ray (Normal except slight residual damage from having smoked 30 years ago, colonoscopy (normal) and abdominal ultra scan (normal except kidney cyst). Was advised to take 1 reg. aspirin per day.
I am monitoring the platelet count monthly and would not be too worried about it except generally I do not feel well...rash once in a while, not sleeping real well, and burning eyes. Am I missing something here?

Old 08-14-2004, 08:52 AM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

My blood platelets have been slowly climbing, last week at 800, I am being referred to a hematologist and my GP told me to start aspirin regimen, I have been diagnosed with collagenous colitis, they believe that is where the problem lies, it is still scary to me. I have horrible musculo-skeletal pain and headaches, constant nausea, but I am told it is all related to the IBD. Who knows, I am being treated for iritis also. I have to have repeat labs this coming week and hopefully my count will have lowered. Does anyone know if there are any symptoms related to a high platelet count?

Thanks
Sandra

Old 08-15-2004, 10:38 AM   #37
(female)

tomatoes49 HB User

i was scheduled to have my tosils out this thurs , hospital called said platlet count was 814,000 retested me and it was 852,000 sent me in for surgery put iv in talked to anesthiologist ten minutes before they rolled me into OR
surgen and nurse told me it was cancelled because of platelet count
friday went to hemotoligist count was even higher , failed bleeding time test ,have appointmen next week for bone marrow biopsy and tommorow have to get sonograhm on spleen done. all i wanted was my tonsils out now all this . i'm 25 never had anything wrong with me but a bunch off sore tonsils
i reading up on all this cause like lots of you ,the doctors dont know why my platelets are high yet. i just want to know whats with the spleen and has anyone else had to get there spleen check?

Old 08-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #38
(male)

Sunshine54 HB User

They are checking your spleen for swelling. An oversized spleen has some relation to the affects of PV. I had high platelets (~950k) before beginning Agrylin. After taking the doses my hemotologist directed, I'm down in the range between 450k - 550k. My doctor is fine with this. Itching was a problem for me, but I've fixed that with lots of asprin. I know there is some concern about taking lots of asprin, but I darn near couldn't function when I got a itching "attack"! I treated is with antihistemines for a while, but I had trouble with the drowsiness. Don't worry to much, a good doctor will work with you to help you manage your symptoms, and the underlying causes. By the way, I was diagnosed with PV, and the high platelets go along with the high hematocrit. I control that with a phlebotomy every 8 to 12 weeks.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #39

NASCARfan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug1934
Hi , I am new to this board.But wanted to respond to High blood platelets.
i am female age 69.My platelets got up to 850.
had to have bone marrow Test so had to go on hydroxyurea been two months am doing fine down to 395. You will be ok Barb. Would like to hear from you

------------------
Hi Junebug, My platelets are 704. U mentioned Hydroxyurea, but from what I have read on it, it causes leukemia if on it for over 5 years. Once your platelets came down, did they take you off it??? I do not want to go on it because I hear a lot of bads things about it. They say I have Polycythemia. All my blood is high, red, white, platelets. I am still not sure because I have not one symptom, and I feel 100% and I went to the Dr for a referal to a Gynacologist and she sent me for a blood test for the heck of it, and boom this is what they say I have. I have seen 2 Dr's already but the 2nd one says he cannot confirm 100 % yet, but is pretty sure. Can you let me know about Hydroxyurea? and if you are on it forever or just till the platelets came down

Thx
Cheryl

Old 08-23-2004, 11:20 AM   #40

sunny side HB User

I was diagnosed with high platelets last year I'm currently taking hydrea. Is anyone else taking this drug get headaches from it.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:09 AM   #41
(female)

tomatoes49 HB User
Arrow Re: High Platelet Count

hey again
welll i went for my sonogram and it was normal
then i went for my bone marrow biopsy and as with my luck it was cancelled because of a urinary track infection wich believe me hurts but this time i didnt feel a thing sooooo i went back to hemotologist yesterday to see if infection was gone and well it was but my platelet count is back to 850,000, forgot to mention count was 718,000 when they said i had infection so again i have another biopsy scheduled for sept 9th still no answers no nuthing

Old 09-05-2004, 09:10 PM   #42
(female)

sapphire12112 HB User

Re. Bone Marrow Test for High Platelet Count. My blood platelets have been elevated for quite some time. My hematologist/oncologist wants to do a bone marrow test. Can anyone tell me a little about the test? Does it take long, is it painful, etc? 3 weeks ago my platelet count was 702,000 and it has gone as high as 824,000... Thanks. sapphire12112

Old 09-07-2004, 09:18 PM   #43

titansgirl HB User

Hi Barb,this is barb here,do you bruise easy? I do,I see the hemotologist on the 22nd.
I also bleed alot from very small cuts or scraps. I don't know if I have high platelets,or low platelets. This has been going on for about a year. I was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica almost two months ago,on 20mg. of prednisone a day. I think prednisone can thin the blood. I'm having a hard time dealing with this polymyalgia,but I'm determined not to give into it.
Good luck with your Dr. visit.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:25 AM   #44
(female)

tomatoes49 HB User

i got my bone marrow test done yesterday.. not all that bad ....the first little shot to numb you stings a bit .... then you just felll it going deeper and deeper but no pain just pressure then when the actually pull the marrow out thats the wierdest feeling in the world takes your breathe away not painfull but pressure just actually feels like your bone is beeing sucked out .
then they take a core sample of your bone it self like and apple core you fell the doctor pushing something in and out but not pain
just make sure they numb ya real good tell them that, they will

once the numbness wheres off you just fell like you've been stabbed
anoying feeling but not bad at all

good luck i was real scared but it wasnt bad at all
and i'm the biggest baby

its just the strangest feeling you'll expeirence but not painfull

Old 09-20-2004, 07:47 PM   #45
(female)

sapphire12112 HB User

Thank you, tomatoes49, for the information regarding the bone marrow test. That makes me feel a little better. I'm interested in knowing the results of your bone marrow test and if you have actually learned anything... I am waiting for my doctor's office to schedule a bone marrow for me. In the past year my platelets have gone as high as 824,000 and as low as 598,000 - usually hovering around 700,000.
Last winter I had several things going - a tooth infection and an emergency root canal, sinus infections, colds... I kept hoping that it would go away, but it hasn't (the elevated platelets!).
I'm also going to have a colonscopy and an endoscopy late next week.
Please post the results of your bone marrow test, tomatoes49.
It's nice to be able to communicate with others who understand what you're going through.
sapphire12112

Closed Thread