It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
(female)

katkat2029 HB User
blood type

hope this question is appropiate to this thread ok my question is i went to the doctor and my blood type is O- which he im told is like very rare...he even tried to joke about it and told me to try not to get into any car accident...newayz the point is that i went to the hospital because i had a miscarriage and was told since i am also rh negative (which is supposed to be also like part of the blood type u are) well the point is he said that my body caused the miscarriage because the rh factor fights the pregnancy because it feels its a foreghn thing in the body....well has anyone ever had this happen to them????

Old 04-05-2005, 03:35 AM   #2
(female)

Mum Of Two HB User
Re: blood type

Quote:
i went to the doctor and my blood type is O- which he im told is like very rare...he even tried to joke about it and told me to try not to get into any car accident...newayz the point is that i went to the hospital because i had a miscarriage and was told since i am also rh negative (which is supposed to be also like part of the blood type u are) well the point is he said that my body caused the miscarriage because the rh factor fights the pregnancy because it feels its a foreghn thing in the body....well has anyone ever had this happen to them????
I'm sorry about the loss of your baby
I'm a little confused by what your Dr's saying - it sounds like you need a new Doc to me!
I'm no expert, but this is my understanding - for a start, blood type O is a universal recipient, if you are O+ that is. You should be able to receive blood from any RH- blood type, B-, A-, O-, AB-, should you need a transfusion. Organ matching is always a little more complicated, regardless of blood type.

RH factor is almost never a concern for pregnant women in this day and age. The problem occurs when a woman who is RH- is carrying a baby who is of an RH+ blood type, meaning the father must also be RH+. Again, this is not usually a problem either.
What can happen, is that after the birth of an RH+ baby, or miscarriage, there is a risk that some of the baby's blood can enter the mother's bloodstream and she can build up antibodies which could affect future RH+ children. It isn't an issue for the child concerned, but for future children, and the problem becomes worse with each RH+ child. To prevent this, Anti D, sometimes known as Rhogham, is given to RH- mothers following bleeding in pregnancy, full term delivery, or miscarriage. You should have received an injection following your miscarriage. If not, don't panic - the risk of sensitisation is still small, and you can be checked for antibodies before your next pregnancy. In the unlikely event that sensitisation has occurred, you can opt for IVF or donor sperm from an RH- donor that will eliminate any risk.
In some countries, following a full or near term delivery blood is taken from the cord for typing, and Anti D only given if necessary. My first child was RH+ and I was given anti D, the second was RH- and it wasn't necessary.
Being RH- is not an illness nor a medical problem on it's own.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
(female)

NAHNEE HB User

I was also going to say that O+ is a universal blood donor. I am O+ and was told that it is quite abundant in the general population. I am unable to donate though because of my health problems and I've had a blood transfusion too.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:06 AM   #4
(female)

Mum Of Two HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHNEE
I was also going to say that O+ is a universal blood donor. I am O+ and was told that it is quite abundant in the general population. I am unable to donate though because of my health problems and I've had a blood transfusion too.
Well, not exactly - O+ is the universal recipient, but only O- is the universal donor where there is no time for blood to be typed, ie in emergency situations.
O+ would not be suitable for anyone with RH factor negative blood types, like myself (A-). Hope this helps!

Closed Thread