It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
(female)

cookingmom HB User
Plavix and Coumadin Together??

Hello,

I have been on Plavix since February after having had a stroke. Yesterday my hematologist has decided that I need to take Coumadin. I have Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome and have recurring neurological problems which is why she had added coumadin.

My question is - she told me to stay on the Plavix as it is an anti-platelet drug and coumadin is a blood thinner. Has anyone taken these together before? It makes me really nervous.

Thanks for any input on this. Bern

Old 06-15-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
(female)

SJN HB User
Re: Plavix and Coumadin Together??

Although they accomplish the same thing, the two drugs work differently, with Plavix acting more like aspirin, which also thins the blood. Doctors continue to turn to Coumadin to treat some kinds of blood clots, including those in the legs and around the heart, but as far as using them together, I really don't know the answer.
Sorry!
SJN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Plavix and Coumadin Together??

grrr this is the 3rd time i have tried to answer this post.
i take coumadin and plavix together, have for some time now. i have had seven strokes and not keen on an 8th one.
i bruise alot. am always a lovely shade of purple. i bleed a long time when i cut myself. i dont just spontaneously start to bleed, need to cut myself. i dont bleed any more than any one else..just a lot longer. its not that big a deal. you of course have to be careful, might even wear a medic alert bracelet.
i spent 5 months in the hospital last time i stroked so if the good docs think my risk os stroke is high than risk of major bleed i take the stuff.
i have anti phospholipid antibodies, and hyperhomocysteineuria which caused the arteries in my head to get all screwed up. i had to have a stent put in my basilar artery which is very very risky. if i dont take the plavix, i start to lose chunks of vision, get pins and needles all the time, vertigo..so i take the coumadin and plavix and a plateful of other meds with no complaints.
janet
oh and i didnt go from coumadin alone to coumadin and plavix. i did coumadin and a baby aspirin, then coumadin and aggrenox, then coumdin and plavix.

Last edited by janet119; 06-16-2005 at 04:59 AM.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Thank you Janet for you reply. Sorry you had trouble posting it. I start my coumadin tonight. I have been on Plavix since February. The Dr. had me start Lovenox shots yesterday - she said you can't just start taking coumadin without the Lovenox or heparin first. The first shot yesterday made one whole side of my stomach black and blue. The one in the other side of my stomach today seems to be okay.

You sure have gone though a lot. I am glad to hear that the combination of meds helps you out. Good luck to you and thanks for your input. Bern

Old 06-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User

i think the shots you are taking are low loecular heparin. i take fragmin shots if i have to come my coumadin. i think they are the same thing. you can take coumadin without the shots but coumadin takes about a week to start doing its thing and during that time you are unprotected thus the shots.
dont be surprised if it takes you quite a while for your inr to stabilize with the coumadin. they told me 6-12 months but it was more like 3 years. i still do the inr blood test every 2 weeks. never did get to the 1 mont between blood test. hopefully you will get it fast. be careful what you eat. there is lots of stuff with vitamin k in it and vitamin k is no longer your friend. it will wreck havok with your blood so either eat the same amount every day or kepp it at an appsolute minimum.
janet

Old 06-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Thank you Janet - I did not realize how many foods have Vitamin K. Luckily the nurse who came to teach me how to give myself the shot shared that all with me. The Dr. was pretty vague about it. The nurse even told me that chocolate is on the list of things to avoid. She did talk about what you mentioned in eating the same amount of things or avoiding them almost completely. I am a salad eater so she said as long as I am consistent I will be okay. THere should be some written information for people when they start something like this. I am fortunate and have access to the computer and great sites like this so I can research things. But, older people who cannot do this would be at risk if they received the same info. from their dr. that I did from mine - basically nothing. It just makes you shake your head. Grateful to you for your help. Hope you are doing well. Bern

Old 07-03-2005, 08:33 AM   #7
(female)

digawid HB User

i am only taking coumadin and i had asked my doc about switching to plavix for my clotting disorder....he said no bc plavix is treated for circulation problems but wouldnt work as good as coumadin which is stronger for clotting disorders...he also said there is a drug they r working on now that could replace coumadin.....it is asstrong and efficient as coumadin but not so many side effects....so they say but nowadays u jump on something new hoping it will help then in a few mnths see a commercial for some lawyer advertising lawsuits for that drug....cant win for losing....lol

Closed Thread