It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User
question about donating blood/bruising

I have always had weird brusies on my arms and legs. However, I donated blood and my blood passed through the screenings. Does anyone know what tests that screen the blood for. Like what diseases? I have been really paranoid about leaukemia and other blood disorders. Can you donate blood if you have some type of cancer in your blood?

Thanks in advance

Angela

Old 06-25-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User
Re: question about donating blood/bruising

No one??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

???? help please

Old 07-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
(female)

veronica24 HB User

i'm not for sure but i don't think going to give blood to someone if that have some kind of disease you may can look it up on american red cross or other web site don't worry about have a disease i was the same at one time

Old 07-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

The cool thing about donating blood is that, if you're a worrier like me, you don't have to be. Someone with HIV could outright lie and say they were normal, and it wouldn't really matter, because the Red Cross or whoever's taking the donation will scrupulously check the blood before sending it to a hospital for transplantation. They screen it for HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, STD's, and all sorts of other problems. I'm not an expert, but I don't think that cancer can be passed through the blood, unless it's leukemia or some other cancer of the blood. If this still doesn't alleviate your fears, you're also grilled before you even get your iron levels checked. They ask you every pertinent question that would be relevant such as "Have you ever had sex with a man who might have AIDS?" and "Have you been outside of the country in the past year?" You're not even allowed to donate if you've gotten a piercing or tattoo within the past year for fear of infection- that's how thorough they are! If you're still concerned about the whole cancer thing, mention it during the questioning session for clarification. I've donated twice at my school, and I was the same as you- I had a sniffle that day and I had taken Advil, so I was paranoid that I would transmit some horrible disease. It wasn't until I got my donor card that I was okay! LOL! By the way, what blood type are you? I'm A-...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-10-2005 at 09:10 PM.

Closed Thread