It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

BeingThin HB User
High ESR, Westergren blood result

Hey all,

I have been reading some threads, etc. I pray everyone is healthy and continues to be and pray that we all find some physical healing.

With that said, I was curious because I have no clue what this even means. What is an ESR, Westergren mean? I know it has to do with sedintary something or other but what does it mean if it's high? Does it mean you have arthritis? A blood issue? I read on the internet but there's so little info on it. It says something about inflammation. But what is inflamed? :-) Just thought i'd ask.

Thank you and have a great evening!

Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: High ESR, Westergren blood result

Hi BeingThin,

I tried to do some research for you this is what I came up with.

ESR:measurement of how quickly red blood cells fall to the bottom of a test tube. When swelling and inflammation are present, the blood's proteins clump together and become heavier than normal. Thus, when measured, they fall and settle faster at the bottom of the test tube. Generally, the faster the blood cells fall, the more severe the inflammation

Westergren: a method for estimating the sedimentation rate of red blood cells in fluid blood by observing the level to which the cells fall in one hour in a tube of 2 or 2.5 mm bore that is 300 mm long and is graduated downward in millimeters from 0 to 200 when 4.5 ml of venous blood is mixed with 0.5 ml of 3.8 percent aqueous solution of sodium citrate.

ESR is a common blood test used to test for arthritis. I'm assuming the high ESR refers to such things as rheumatoid arthritis, which is an inflammatory arthritis. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to shnswms For This Useful Post:
chrysler120 (02-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread