It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

pearl2 HB User
Do clots always start in legs?

Hope these aren't silly questions, but from what I've been reading, do all clots start in the lower legs? And if you do have a clot, do you always know it, or can you have one and not even be aware of it or realize what it is? And lastly, if you have clots in your lungs, would they always come from a clot somewhere else in your body?

I'm on Coumadin for a blood disorder and have been for over 20 years, and some of you may know that I'm having a colonoscopy tomorrow so have been off the coumadin since Saturday - I took my last pill on Friday so today is the 4th day without it. Because I have been off of it a couple of times in the past for minor surgery and didn't have a problem either time - in fact, I have not had a problem with clots since my initial diagnosis in 1984 - my doctor didn't think it would be a problem being off of it this time for these four days. But those past surgeries were in my 30's, and I'm now in my 50's, so I was alot younger back then, if that matters. When I stopped my coumadin this week-end, I really didn't think it was going to worry me this much, but it has, and I am now managing to scare myself to death with thoughts of a blood clot. In fact, I never even knew about strokes until I started reading this forum... both past times when I was off my pills, I never once worried about a stroke or anything happening mostly because I just didn't know enough to worry. When I voice my concern to my husband, he keeps saying I'll be fine. But because I don't know enough to put my mind at ease, I thought I'd come here. I do want to add that when they first found my clots back in 1984, I had clusters of them in my lungs.....I never once considered a clot somewhere else in my body that these were from as I don't remember having a problem in a leg, but I must have, correct? Because where else would those clots have come from?

I know I probably should have asked these questions before I stopped the pills but didn't think it would worry me. I just want to know basically, if I were to get a clot somewhere after this, is it likely that I would know it before it caused me a serious problem? And would it likely be in my leg if I did?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2005, 11:46 PM   #2
(male)

Smoothie000 HB User
Re: Do clots always start in legs?

This is sittin my user name...its my boyfriends....i forgot my password....BUT.....I dont know to much but my mom has a blood disorder and she gets blood clots...they always start in here legs. the DR said it was b/c were she sits. its just easier for them to start there b/c even if you are sitting you are still moving your arms and everything. he told her in order to stop or to reduce them to take an asprin a day if nessary. but she had to be careful bout that so she only takes one when she sees a blood clot to try to make it go away. sorry i cant help bout the blot clot in the lungs. best of luck to you.............Jessi

Old 07-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
(female)

elfmoogle HB User

I've had two PEs, and neither time did they find clots in my legs. However, that's where they assume they came from, so I got an inferior vena cava filter put in (I'm 23 years old, by the way, and have been told I will be on warfarin for life). So, I think most clots come from the legs. But, I've been told they can form in the arms which you would really have a hard time not noticing, and I've read several places that they can form in the inferior vena cava itself, although I've not heard many stories of it.. a good group of people to get answers about this from is the list thrombosis@***********.com, many knowledgeable people there with DVTs, PEs, and whate have you. I'm heterozygous for factor V Leiden and got my first clot while on birth control, the second set of clots a week later, by the way.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Clots in the legs are the most common because, if your legs are injured for whatever reason, you can't get the blood circulating. The legs have to defy gravity to return blood to the heart, and since venous blood in the legs is the slowest moving, that's why legs often get clots. Still, clots aren't always located in the legs, nor do they always form in the legs. Thrombi and emboli are blood clots that dislodge itself from a tissue and move throughout the bloodstream to become trapped in a small blood vessel.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 08-02-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
(female)

carrot16 HB User

I believe many clots start in the right atrium.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:58 PM   #6
(female)

jennamo HB User

Hey, not all clots start in the leg. I have a blood clot in my right arm. There is usually some sort of signs when having a clot such as swelling, redness, or pain but many people brush it off as something else, especially if you have had trauma to the area.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #7
(female)

Ali04 HB User

i am currently on 12mg of coumadin with an inr of 3.1. (target range of 2.5-3.5 for previous stroke)

i just had a ct with contrast of my chest because of dilated vessels. NO OTHER SYMPTOMS. JUST SOME UGLY OLE VEINS! my chest ct shows clots in my subclavian and axillary (sp?) veins. also, my cephiliac (again, sp?) vein. they are all occluded..meaning blocked.

i am now taking a baby asprin with my coumadin, and see the vascular surgeon on friday. not sure what to expect, but yes, you can have a clot in the upper extremety, and it doesnt always present itself with pain.

good luck to you,
ali

Closed Thread