It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
New drug to take the place of Coumadin?

Has anyone heard of a new drug that's suppose to be released in two years that will supposedly replace Coumadin? My doctor mentioned it when I was in to see him this past week.....I don't remember the name of it but I believe it started with a 'M'. I wasn't too keen on going off Coumadin at any time in the near future just to try something new, and I told him so. He said it's suppose to do away with INR tests and protimes, that it's meant to take your blood 'to a certain level and then stay there' with no monitoring of your blood needed. I asked him, 'Well, if you don't have to check the blood, then how do you know it's working?' He also told me they've already released it once and recalled it because of some problems with it. I've been on Coumadin for over 20 years now, and have never had a problem with it, or a recurrance of a clot since my initial diagnosis. I'm not about to go off of it - in 2 years or 10 years - because of some 'new' drug. My husband says, 'How do they know what the long-term affects would be? They won't know until years from now or after people have been on it for awhile'. I mean, how long did we all think that Vioxx was a wonderful drug for people with arthritis...and how many years was that on the market before they pulled it this year? I find it all very disturbing and was just wondering if anyone else had heard of this new drug for clotting disorders.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread