It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

mayansun HB User
Blood CLot?

I have had localized and diffuse (depending on the day) pain in my left calf and leg for 3 months. Visited ER in September and had ultrasound of entire left leg (veins, valves and behind knee) which came back normal.

Pain is constant and unchanging with rest or exercise. Ibuprofen helps minimally. The pain is a dull aching pain up and down whole leg but locally worse in an area of upper calf. Calf is tender to touch in that area. No redness, swelling or warmth.

My doctor is aware of the pain and I have a follow up appointment early January. My fear is a blood clot and I have no hesitation going to an ER if it gets worse but I also don't want to overreact since I had the ultrasound 3 months ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
(female)

shmal HB User
Re: Blood CLot?

Hello,
Here's a little test that we do at the hospital I work at to help determine a blood clot.(Prior to the ultra sound)lay down on your back and have someone push your toes/ball of your foot toward your upper body.If you have ALOT of pain in calf it could indicate a BC also very often people tend to run a low-grade fever (100.ish)and a significant amount of swelling is also a "clue".Hope that this helps, at least a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2005, 05:18 PM   #3

Murphy HB User
Cool Re: Blood CLot?

Maya: That gal just gave us a good tip! I've had problem in rt-calf for 2 yrs.
Feels like a bad charley-horse that won't let up till it desides to. Doc won't
even consider ultrasound. I'm not sure if this was a dx just to humor me, but
I had a lumbar mri w/ dye & it showed I had bulges that could pinch off
nerves if I sat wrong. I can't imagine though, why wouldn't it also affect
the thigh, etc. Why would it jump just to my calf? Anyway, I found ice-pak
works best. It just makes me mad when I try to sleep. Heat makes it swell
& hurt more. I thought it was a large vein near by causing it but doc said
no. It's your lumber disk. Might ask Your Dr. abt that theory.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
(female)

mayansun HB User
Re: Blood CLot?

Thanks, I have had an u/s of the calf (3 months ago) which was clear and my doctor has suggested the pain is from my back. Just got back from vacation and we did a lot of driving and the pain is now 5 times worse and it is my whole right leg and lower back which I guess really points to a back / nerve problem rather than a circulation problem.

Closed Thread