It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User
INR Testing at home ... It's Wonderful!!

Hi All! Yep, we got the ProTime machine the doc's use to check my husband's INR level. My husband was diagnosed with APS about a year and a half ago. Those of you who take coumadin know how difficult it is to keep a "normal" INR. His INR is up and down all the time. One week he's 1.5 they bump him up a little and he shoots to 3.9. So....... i did some reasearch and found a website that sells the ProTime machine. They also work with your insurance company to see if they will pay for some of it. Mine did!! Couldn't believe it. The machine is $2600 and my insurance paid for $2000 of it. So worth it.

I just wanted to let you all know that it is possible to do this at home and then you can watch it more closely. Coumadin is such a scary drug to be on, it's so important to make sure you're in a safe range.

If you do your research, you'll find the site on the web.

Stacia

Old 01-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User
Re: INR Testing at home ... It's Wonderful!!

hi,
i have been wanting to get a home machine as well. can i ask what company you got it from? my hemotologist is all for getting the machine but they wont change my coumadin because my machine would say low or high because he says those machines are only about 90% accurate for aps (which i have too) so he would want to check my inr against a lab every three months, or when my inr dropped or was too high. i could live with that for sure.
janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
(female)

Ali04 HB User

i also have aps, history of one stroke, with recurrant clots while on coumadin.
i had the protime, and when checked against the lab, was found to be faulty.
i was told by the company that it may be inaccurate for people with the lupus anticoagulant.
be careful, and once in a while check it against the lab. the differences i had were alarming.
the company apologized, said i shouldnt use it, and refunded my money. that was in 01.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
(female)

Ali04 - WOW!! I hate hearing that. The big reason why I hate hearing that is because the machine we got is the exact same one they use in the clinic. It's the protime machine. I can only hope that through the last four years they have changed their machines to be more accurate since this is what the docs are using.

Janet 119 - The company is called QAS. Quality Assured Services. I have emailed the moderator to see if I can post their web address for you.

Stacia

Old 01-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
(female)

Here is the web address for the protime machine for use at home. Good luck to you!!

[url]http://www.ptinratio.com/patient_how_to_get.asp[/url]

Stacia

Old 01-13-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User

thank you stacia. it was only a few months ago that my hemotologist told me it was only 90% accurate for aps. i have had a bunch of strokes too.
janet

Old 01-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
(female)

I have a hard time when people say that to me because it's the same machine my doc uses. If it's not accurate why would they use it????

Good luck to you!

Stacia

Closed Thread