It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

rene24 HB User
Elevated Platelets Not Responding to Hydrea

Elevated Platelets Not Responding to HydreaHello All, Well here I am again writing hoping to get some responses to my questions. I started a thread titled "Elevated Platelets Related to Brain Tumor?" and now I am starting this one as things are not going so well. On March 13th my dr. started me on Hydrea (Hydroxyurhea) At that time my platelets had went over the million mark, and I was starting to get a bit upset. I was going in every Friday for blood work, and last Friday the results showed the platelets down to 745. I went in this Tuesday and they were back up to 795. My doctor upped my dosage to 3 pills a day for now. Has anyone out there run into this problem also? He said that they should be almost back to normal with this medication if it is Primary Thrombocytosis. Since the platelets are going up again he believes that maybe there is another problem in my body causing this to occur. Along side the brain tumor I do have a cyst on my left ovary and go next week to get it checked out again. I guess my question to you all is has anyone been on the medicine Hydrea,and not have your platelets respond to the medicine? I know this is a potent drug, and it really should be knocking the platelets down. I left the drs. office feeling a bit down, and wanting to quit my journey of getting back to my old self. I have since picked myself up again and will follow thru with my other dr appt. (gyno). If anyone has experienced the same I would love to hear from you. Thanks so much, and God Bless U All! Rene24

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
(female)

Karenann12342 HB User
Re: Elevated Platelets Not Responding to Hydrea

I took Hydea for 3 mos. It lowered my platelets. I took 4 pills a day. I wouldn't say it was a overly dramatic drop. But I went back on agrilyn cause it cause other discomforts. I don't think this helps much. It is just my experience. Karen

Old 04-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
(female)

ishell HB User
Re: Elevated Platelets Not Responding to Hydrea

I have high platelets and my doctor put me on Busulphan. It is not as popular as the meds that you are on, but he said that it keeps the platelets down for a longer time. At one time my platelets kept down for 18 months. You might mention it to your doctor and maybe he might try this med. Hope that this has helped you.

Closed Thread