It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User
blood clots

i woke up three days ago and have this pain in my left calf area. how do i know if i have a strained calf or a clot bc when i searched leg pain, clots came up. it hurts more when i walk and move it a certain way, but its not swolen or dis-colored. my drs appt isnt until monday, so i am worried until then. any suggestions?

thanks much

Old 04-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

carly bishop HB User
Re: blood clots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1975
i woke up three days ago and have this pain in my left calf area. how do i know if i have a strained calf or a clot bc when i searched leg pain, clots came up. it hurts more when i walk and move it a certain way, but its not swolen or dis-colored. my drs appt isnt until monday, so i am worried until then. any suggestions?

thanks much
If you really believe you have a clot you need to go to hospital immediatley, however i can advise you of some checks you can do as i have had DVT twice now and although all my results were negative i knew there was something wrong!

I have just had a clot in my left calf also and this is what i experienced:
My legs were very sluggish, heavy and aching.
I was very dehidrated and tired in myself which lead to headaches daily
If my legs were flat on their calfs (i.e laying down) i could feel a bubbling/popping sensation, this then lead me to hold my leg around the ankle and push the fingers along the back of the calf muscle up to the knee which caused shooting pains in the calf.

When this happened i knew immediatley that i needed to go to hospital for a double check.

Although all my tests were negative i knew that i needed a Deep Vein and Artery Scan for the final check as this was the only i discovered i had DVT in my groin previousley.

If you want to ask me anything more i am happy to try to explain.

Hope this helps???
Carly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User

i did the tests u mentioned i dont have any shooting pains just when i walk my left calf hurts a little when i move it a certain way. i do get aching in my thigh area but i dont know if that has to do with a blood clot

Old 04-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
(female)

carly bishop HB User

Do you know if you have family history of Thrombosis?
If you do i would suggest you go to your GP or hospital..
I didn't have alot of pain in my left leg, more of a dull ache and the bubbling feelings, however if you are concerned it would be better to get it checked as even though my results were negative the deep vein and artery scan showed different.

If only for peace of mind!

I know the worry it can be

Take care
Carly

Old 04-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User

if i go to the er, what tests will they do while im there? how did u eventually get the test to find the dvt? im only 31 i do have mitral valve regurgitation, it feels like both my legs are sore and hurt the same.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

A clot in the calf area generally will make the calf warm, red and painful. The hospital will do an ultrasound of the leg which will show if there is a clot present.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:57 PM   #7
(female)

carly bishop HB User

This is true in most cases, however not always the case.... i did have red swolen legs when i had them in the groin, but this time when it was in the calf i did not have any swelling or redness, however i did have a little heat on the calf.
The hospital will check the size of your leg against the other and check the pulse in your ankle and foot.

This should then proceed to an ultrasound if they are still concerned.

Keep me posted
Take care
Carly

Old 04-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User

carly,

i have a drs appt on monday. i dont see any redness or swollen so if it isnt a blood clot what else could it be?

Old 04-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
(female)

kris1182 HB User

Hi. I recently had a blood clot in my calf. I had a very bad pain in my calf, it hurt to touch, was warm to the touch and was swelled. I went to the ER just to be on the safe side and they did a CT scan and found it. Hope all goes well at your Doctor appt!

Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
(female)

carly bishop HB User

Hi Ya,

Just checking to see how you got on at the docotors???
Have you had any of the results through yet...if they sent you for some!!

I hope all was good news and that you are feeling a little more knowledgeable about what is happening with your calf??

I have ANOTHER blood test on the 8th of may and then heamotology on the 16th to see if anything genetic is showing in the Thrombophilia screening.........then it is decision time about medication.

Apparently they discover 50 additional genetic issues each year so what does not show this time may well show next year, until then i suppose i am just supposed to decide on how i want to continue controlling the blood clot issues i have in the future.

I am not looking forward to making the decision based on very little knowledge from the "doctors"..

Anyway look forward to hearing how you got on at the doctors

A confused Carly (but still smiling)

Old 04-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User

my dr looked at it and sd its looks fine just strained a muscle. he pretty much blew off the thought of it being a blood clot so i hope hes right

ron

Old 05-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #12
(female)

carly bishop HB User

Excellent news!!
If you feel it is more then just keep an eye on it if it continues to be painful for too long....but dont get paranoid about it ay!!

Better to have good news and put your mind at rest.

Now it is just me who has to wait...blood test on Monday then 16th for D-day

I bet your good news deserved a pint!

Take it easy, i will post a mail to let you know how i got on

Fingers crossed

Carly B

Last edited by carly bishop; 05-05-2006 at 12:36 PM.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
(female)

Laurie C. HB User
Cool Re: blood clots

I have had femoral neuropathy in my left leg since last June and was diagnosed with a DVT from my knee to my groin, on Halloween night, which was a Monday night, the doctors found it due to a venous duplex xray, the idiot doctor kept me in bed, that Friday day I was taken into the minor surgery room, to have a stint put into my leg for drainage.... the following afternoon the idiot doctor( who was in a rush to go to a football game) without anesthetic... pulled the stint out of my leg because it wasnt draining the way he wanted it to, I was discharged from the hospital on Sunday...... I have been on coumadin since October. My leg continues to be big, red, lathargic and sensitive. I have recently been to my second venous duplex xray( which is painful when the technician pushes down on the already inflammed leg to do the ultrasound of the veins). I get to see the idiot doctor tommorrow to find out what the next step of my journey will be.
Laurie C.
Columbus, Indiana

Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
(female)

carly bishop HB User

Hi Laurie C,

I can understand your frustration with the doctors as i have had some "idiot doctors" too...

Do you know what has caused your DVT??
I had an appointment for the third time with Heamotology yesterday and although the majority was good news , one test is still showing positive but they cannot determine what it is that causes my blood to clot.

Sounds like i am going to be one of the minority who will never know and just has to deal with it day by day.

Carly

Old 06-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #15
(female)

vegascalling HB User
Cool Re: blood clots

Hi everyone. I know all too well about dealing with blood clots. I've had 3 blood clots in my right leg and 1(possibly 2) in the right groin area(where your leg bends at the hip). I got my 1st blood clot in 1986 when I was 19 and was diagnosed with the last one(in my groin) in 2004. I go in tomorrow for another scan on my leg to see if I have another clot--even though I've been told that due to all the scar tissue in my leg, they may not be able to detect a new clot. I'm also going for lab work to test for the Factor V blood disorder. No clue what causes my clots, but I do know I'll have to be on coumadin for the rest of my life. I really hate having pro-times done(my arms are starting to look like a junkie). Just wanted to 'chime in' and say hi.

Closed Thread