It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #1

ShaB71 HB User
Elevated Platelets and need a bone marrow biopsy!! Any help???

Hi everyone-
I have never looked to getting information and help through a health board before. It seems for the past 6 months my platelet count has been going up and down. I was as high as 644 the end of March and now down to 550. I just went to visit a hematologist yesterday and I am awaiting the results of that blood work up. What is scaring me the most is that my WBC is not elevated it just the platelets. I did some research online (a very stupid thing to do!!!) those with elevated platelet counts may acutually have a form of cancer namely leukemia.
I got my CBC results from the hematologist today and my platelet count is still over 650. My Dr. said to wait 2 months when she will redo my CBC, but still wants to do the bone marrow biopsy at that time as well.
I also have Multiple Sclerosis which the hematolgist and my neurologist feel it has nothing to do with my meds of the MS itself. Both doctor's feel it is a :: independent situation.
If anyone has any thoughts or advice I would really appreciate it. I am quite scared. I have a 3 year old little boy and I want to be as healthy as I can for him.

Thanks,
Sharon

Old 04-27-2006, 06:43 AM   #2

KritterKeeper HB User
Talking Re: Elevated Platelets and need a bone marrow biopsy!! Any help???

My platelets are always high due to a simple iron deficiency. I've been up to 700,000. My drs have never been concerned about it. Most don't even address it unless your numbers exceed a million. The lowest I've ever measured has been well into the 400,000s. Have your dr's said you are anemic? In that case many will order a bone marrow biopsy just to identify which type. Rarely is it anything serious. There are many types of anemia. For me, I don't absorb or store iron well so I was given several courses of IV iron. No big deal!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

Genessa HB User
Re: Elevated Platelets and need a bone marrow biopsy!! Any help???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaB71
Hi everyone-
I have never looked to getting information and help through a health board before. It seems for the past 6 months my platelet count has been going up and down. I was as high as 644 the end of March and now down to 550. I just went to visit a hematologist yesterday and I am awaiting the results of that blood work up. What is scaring me the most is that my WBC is not elevated it just the platelets. I did some research online (a very stupid thing to do!!!) those with elevated platelet counts may acutually have a form of cancer namely leukemia.
I got my CBC results from the hematologist today and my platelet count is still over 650. My Dr. said to wait 2 months when she will redo my CBC, but still wants to do the bone marrow biopsy at that time as well.
I also have Multiple Sclerosis which the hematolgist and my neurologist feel it has nothing to do with my meds of the MS itself. Both doctor's feel it is a :: independent situation.
If anyone has any thoughts or advice I would really appreciate it. I am quite scared. I have a 3 year old little boy and I want to be as healthy as I can for him.

Thanks,
Sharon
Sharon,

I have elevated platelets, too. I always knew they were on the high side - but they were in the 400s for years and I thought it was good.
Then they went into the 500s and I needed to get them checked out.
There are a number of reasons your platelets could be elevated. One simple reason is if you are low on iron as the last person wrote. That was the first thing my internist and hemotologist tried - my iron was borderline low, but increasing my iron didn't do anything to my platelet count - it continued to rise.

If you have had a recent infection or operation that could make your count go higher. Also if there is some kind of problem with your spleen - so you will probably have a check of your spleen.

Then there are several disorders/diseases that could be responsible. The bone marrow biopsy helps the hemotologist to determine if you have one of these. I have ET - essential thrombocythemia. There is also polycemia vera (sp?).

Until recently, the only thing I had increased was the platelets - but recently my wbc was up, too. So I'm going back to the hemotologist.

I was concerned about getting a bone marrow biopsy, but it wasn't bad, not even super uncomfortable - much, much better than root canals. I was numbed up and felt an odd "pulling" sensation. Then I was slightly sore - as if I had banged myself on the edge of a desk sore - for a couple of days.

I hope your increased platelets are only temporary!

Old 04-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaB71
Hi everyone-

Thanks,
Sharon
Interms of numbers of platelets, usually no treatment is recommended unless you are having symptoms of blood clots or the other side of the coin, increased bleeding or bruising. Platelet counts are difficult to do even by machine because they clump together naturally and when placed into a test tube for processing will break up and the numbers counted are usually not accurate compared to the other counts. So rather than count platelets to decide about treatment need, the doctors evaluate whether the platelets are functioning in their job. As for the bone marrow biopsy, if it turns out that something is wrong with the way the bone marrow stem cells are forming and how it is affecting the other counts, the doctor will treat that according to need as well. Do not panic, not every problem is cancer or leukemia that has to do with blood. Doctors do a lot of self protecting when ordering diagnostic tests due to liability for missing disease.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:37 PM   #5

ShaB71 HB User

Hi again-

Thank you all so much for your help and encouragement. You have helped put my mind at some ease. Of course the first thing you think of when you hear bone marrow biopsy is "cancer." I hadn't realized the need for bone marrow biopsy and there role in diagnosing so many other disorders.

Sharon

Last edited by ShaB71; 04-27-2006 at 09:40 PM.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
(female)

gailm HB User

Hello
Imagine my surprise to find you. I also have MS and ET. Double whammy.
This is my first time using this site so not so sure how everything works.
Let me give you a quick rundown of my ususal situation. I was diagnosed with ET following the bone marrow biospy which was done becuase i had an unusaully high platelet count which was discovered following a routine blood test at my GPs office. Prior to this i was being investigated for MS the results of MRI evoked potentials were negative. So i was prescibed anagrelide by the hematologist my platelet count was 850,000 and was well maintianed with the medication. ABout a year later MS like evidence showed up on MRI, spinal tap but the neuro did not want to diagnose me because i had no symptoms. About 2 years of back and forth and a move to Toronto i finally got the diagnosis. I was given Avonex and was on it for over 4 years until March 2008 when i was told that i needed to change meds as it was no longer working! This is where the problems arose my neuro wants me on Tysabri my hematologist wants me to do bone marrow bioposy to see if the Et has evolved into myleofibrosis. So after many months of doctors not communicaitng ... i find myself on no MS medication. sorry i have ran out of space. Please let me know what is going on with you. Meds diagnosis etc. Gail

Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

hi i had cbc and doc said that something was elevated,in my blood,showing infection,but he diddnt know where it was, iv had low ferretin for a long time, could this be the reason,doc diddnt check ferretin only hgb,shirley

Old 06-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
(female)

denlinschafer HB User
Smile Re: Elevated Platelets and need a bone marrow biopsy!! Any help???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaB71 View Post
Hi everyone-

Thanks,
Sharon

Old 06-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
(female)

denlinschafer HB User

Hi Sharon, my name is Linda from Toledo, Oh. I was diagnosed ten years ago, when I was 49 with high platelet disease, thrombocytosis. My highest platelet count was over a million, then they changed my meds to hydroxurea. Never had to have a bone marrow test. Hematologist had talked about it but never did it. This is also the first time for me to be on here. Tell me about yourself, and I will tell you more about me, if you want to. My sister also has MS. She was just diagnosed a year ago at the age of 55.

Closed Thread