It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
(male)

gusdotcom HB User
Orange Blood????

I'm a Respiratory Therapist and have worked for years in a trauma unit, so I have seen my share of blood over the years. Recently, my father in law cut himself accidentally while doing mild carpentry work. His blood was a striking orange color. He is a long-term moderate smoker, a daily light coffee drinker, and does not drink alcohol in any form. He's not on any meds. Doesn't take supplements. He does not present with any other signs or symptoms of jaundice, eyes are white, skin is normal caucasian. Anybody have any idea what could be causing the orange hue of the blood. The smoking? The coffee? I've never seen anything this orange in my life. He stated that his MD is aware of it for years and doesn't seem concerned. But I'm concerned. Suggestions anyone?

Old 05-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
(male)

lee26 HB User
Re: Orange Blood????

[url]http://about-organic-foods.com[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User

A timely question! I cut myself the other day, and noticed my blood did not look a bright red, but more of an orangey tone. But I have not felt the greatest lately, and had a B-12 deficiency in the past, so I am having mine checked again.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

The color is suspicious in that the red color is derrived from interaction of oxygen with the iron in the blood as it hits the air. Arterial blood is darker red. Just because the patient told you his doctor was not concerned does not mean it is true. Sometimes older people will know what is going on and do not want to deal with it for various reasons such as fear of causing the family unwanted medical bills, fear of facing disabling medical treatments, fear of chemo if cancer is involved. Unfortunately, most people only hear about the cases where people did not recover and do not hear about the ones who had cancer, are walking around as though nothing bad happened, so people do not know. One last suggestion is that every one has times when they have thinner blood or lighter colored blood. I guess you could just ask more questions.(Also, was the light where you were at distorted by special lighting?.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merimac
The color is suspicious in that the red color is derrived from interaction of oxygen with the iron in the blood as it hits the air. Arterial blood is darker red. Just because the patient told you his doctor was not concerned does not mean it is true. Sometimes older people will know what is going on and do not want to deal with it for various reasons such as fear of causing the family unwanted medical bills, fear of facing disabling medical treatments, fear of chemo if cancer is involved. Unfortunately, most people only hear about the cases where people did not recover and do not hear about the ones who had cancer, are walking around as though nothing bad happened, so people do not know. One last suggestion is that every one has times when they have thinner blood or lighter colored blood. I guess you could just ask more questions.(Also, was the light where you were at distorted by special lighting?.
In my case, I was outside. I have had in the past, a B-12 def., and I think it may be back, because I have felt really tired and irritable lately. I am going to start back on the B-12 by mouth, but wonder if I should see the Dr. first for other bloodwork, like a CBC, which I usually have 2x a year, and am due for it next month. I have not had an actual Iron Def. Anemia in years and years.

Would a B-12 def. ifself, with no other anemia present, cause blood to be lighter?

Old 05-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
(male)

gusdotcom HB User

Well, persistence pays off. We griped and moaned enough that he called the MD to discuss it and lo and behold he has an iron retention problem. It is not to the point that he needs therapeutic phlebotomy, but it is checked every 6 months and for the past few years has been stable, and so far has not been so high as to affect liver function. Now that we know the rest of the story, the family can help remind him to have it checked regularly and we are getting a lot of mileage with jokes about "rusting". Thank goodness it is a joking matter. Some of the iron retention illnesses are quite severe and debilitating. Anyway, we have to be vigilant, but no harm at this point. Thanks for the replies!

Closed Thread