It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
(female)

Lightbody HB User
Excessive Menstrual Bleeding From Coumadin?

I am just now recovering from extreme menstrual bleeding starting June 2, 2006 with some spotting today. The result has been major weakness, fatigue and a lot of pain when I move. Even walking from one room to another is a painful chore and I've always been a highly active person. I'm also anemic and take good iron supplements but it looks like I need much more.

I am on Coumadin at 10 mg and my last INR was between 1.4 - 1.6 (low) . I got a blood draw a few days ago when I dragged myself to the clinic but I don't know the results yet.

Can such a low INR reading cause so much bleeding? I thought the blood had to be too thin with a high INR reading. I also have swelling in my legs and feet (edema).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

cookingmom HB User
Re: Excessive Menstrual Bleeding From Coumadin?

Hi,
You need to call your doctor and let him/her know what is going on. It sounds like something that needs to be investigated. Let us know how you are. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
(female)

Rsbj HB User
Cool Re: Excessive Menstrual Bleeding From Coumadin?

I had excessive bleeding and extreme pain from age 14 at start of puberty until last year (age 30). I had my tubes tied a few years ago as too risky to have any more kids but last year I have microwave ablation. Basically they fill the uterus with fluid and then swipe a hot metal probe across the inside of the uterus to seal the blood vessels. I am also on Coumadin and it is for life. I now have no pain and bleed for about a minute each month if I am really unlucky!! It has been amazing and made my life so much easier as I used to go through 6 packs of 15 maternity pads for the five days of bleeding.

It is probably not recommended for everyone but thought I would put it here so you can see there are solutions.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #4
(female)

Aus_lady_Di HB User

I had the same thing from using Warfarin and wasn't able to leave the house cause pads or tampons just didn't work with out spillage ,I had to end up having endrimetral ablation(sp??) its where they burn off the lining of the uterine wall ...tho if you are young and have no children and want some this is not for you ..like you I was also on high doses of warfarin 10 to 15 mg a day to keep my INR in the normal range ...Being that Warfarin and Coumadin are both blood thinning meds having extreme menstrual bleeding is to be expected especially when on high doses of it
Di

Old 11-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User

i am taking coumadin and plavix, so i used to bleed alot too. i was having blood tranfusions after each period so i eventually had a hysterectomy. best thing i ever did!!
janet

Closed Thread