It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006, 06:12 AM   #1
(female)

pulltab HB User
CBC results...ESR high!

Hey everyone, I had some bloodwork results back in March for a medical and all my bloodwork was great except for one number the ESR it was 22... When my doctor went over it with me I remember her saying everything looked good except that one number. She said "it may indicate a small infection". Thats all she said about the matter. I was just wondering if ESR 22 is anything to be concerned with? At the time I am pretty sure I didn't have any infections that would have caused that to be high. That is why I'm confused. So any insight would be great thanks everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Re: CBC results...ESR high!

Hi Pull

Hopefully i can help you on this one. I have many blood tests done to check my ESR rate, and mine has always come back high due to my crohn's, so i will tell you what i know and hopefully it will help.

The ESR stands for erythrocyte sedimentation rate. Basically the ESR rate is looked at for signs of infection or inflammation somewhere in the body. The normal range is no more than 20, but in females this does increase with age. Therefore yours is only slightly raised so i wouldnt worry too much. You may just have a slight infection or abit of inflammation going on in your body.

An increased ESR can also indicate Anemia.

So dont worry too much, im sure if doctor isnt concerned then you will be fine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
(female)

pulltab HB User

Thanks Sharon! Well after thinking about it, i'm pretty sure I had a fungal infection at the time. I remember when my doctor gave me a medical she told me to go get an ointment because there was a slight fungal infection area. Is that something that would have caused my ESR to be slightly elevated? Thanks for you help.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Pull

Too be honest i'm not sure if a yeast infection would cause a higher ESR.....do you think you could have had a virus at the time???

Anyway, dont worry too much about it im sure you'll be fine feel free to ask anything else

Old 07-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
(female)

pulltab HB User

No i don't think i had a virus at the time. I wasn't sick or anything. Oh well.. I guess I'll just forget about it. Seems to be the thing to do. What is your ESR at having Chrohns? I read that it can go upwards of 100.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Well when i was at my worst my ESR was 58 and i have regular checks but it never falls below 35+ this is because i have so much inflammation in my small bowel.

As long as you feel well in yourself then thats good news

Closed Thread