It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

daisy25 HB User
Anxiety or Pulmonary embolism?

Hi I have posted before about blood clots and in my legs and I have been having pain in the left side of my chest along with shortness of breath and I have been writing it off as anxiety because I have been so stressed out lately. I was off of my feet for 3 weeks but I did get up and walk around every hour. I am also 25 years old and I don't take birth control pills and I dont' smoke. I have also been lightheaded and dizzy. I saw my doctor today and she thinks everything is just inflamed from a virus but she wants me to have a ct scan tommorow with dye to make sure there isn't a pulmonary embolism. My pulse rate is never really high but today it went up to 110 out of no where and lasted an hour. She said all of these are signs of pulmonary embolism but she doubts it. I am really scared and now I am working myself up. I also can't have the normal dye with Iodine because my sister is allergic to it and she doesn't want to take a chance. So I guess I will have a different kind? Does anyone know about all of this? Could this just be anxiety? I am really scared please help me.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: Anxiety or Pulmonary embolism?

daisy try not to be too alarmed because your doctor said all your symptoms are signs of pulmonary embolism.I am not a doctor but yes anxiety can cause all those because it mimics soooo many real health problems with so many people all the time.I believe your same type of symptoms (anything relating to the heart) are one of the major reasons most people end up in the ER and out of them the majority is stress/anxiety/panic related and not a real heart issue.Your doctor even said she doubts it is actualy pulmonary embolism so try and take a little reassurance from those words.I am sure she is having this test done partly because it is her job to do so and partly because she sees you need to have some peace of mind.I too doubt it is actualy a blood clot or anything from what you have posted you are not at risk for such but I am glad your having this test done and GOOD LUCK!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

If she thought you were TRULY in immediate danger, you'd be at the hospital RIGHT NOW having that test. I truly felt like I was going to die when I had a pulmonary embolism. I couldn't walk 10ft from my bed to my bathroom---and I was one of the least sick people with a PE! I think your doc is just being SUPER careful and probably trying to placate you. I swear to you, I couldn't breathe well enough to carry on a conversation, I was sweating like crazy in air conditioning, my heart rate was not high for a little while---it stayed constantly above 130 and I was on beta-blockers to lower my heart rate! Again, I was one of the less sick people with a PE (because I was young and didn't have any other serious illness). They will give you a non-ionic contrast "dye". It just makes you feel warm for about 30 seconds and that's it. Most people worry about the test but then they go have it, it's over in a few minutes, and you realize it was no big deal. BTW, in the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY event that they saw anything bad on your scan, they wouldn't let you leave the radiology dept., so after you have it done and they tell you you can leave, you can pretty much be absolutely certain that there is no clot in your lung.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
(female)

daisy25 HB User

Thank you for writing back I am just so scared. For the past couple of days I can't catch my breath and I have the chest pain on the left side by my collarbone. I tried to move around when I was off of my feet for 3 weeks. She said if my breathing got worse to go to the emergency room. But if I had a pulmonary embolism or a blood clot would I just die? Or since I am already having symptoms would they just get worse? Can our pulse just spike like that for no reason? I also found out that I have a cyst on my right ovary that is the size of a small apple and I probably have to have surgery. The doctor says that can also make me feel really sick. Are there any other signs and symptoms I should look for tonight? I just can't calm down. I know you said that you had a high pulse rate all the time so that makes me feel a little better. Do most people with pulmonary embolisms have high pulse rate all the time? It wouldn't be just sometimes. I did have leg pain in both legs before all of this but I thought it was just due to laying down for awhile. Thanks again everybody.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

I would just be suspicious of a high heart rate that did not go down (unless you were having a big panic attack), or shortness of breath that interfered with your breathing when talking or walking. I also had "pleuritc pain", that is pain in your lungs when you inhale. I had that with EVERY breath. You're gonna be ok. You'll be nervous tonight, but you'll feel much better after that test tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
(female)

daisy25 HB User

Thank you so much. Do you know how long someone can walk around with a pulmonary embolism? This has been going on for about 5 days or so. My doctor said if it was a big one it would have hurt me by now. Is that right? As much as I am trying to calm myself down I am still so worried. I feel like I can't calm down. Does something like this just break free out of nowhere or should it be okay tonight? I am so sorry I am just really scared.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:45 AM   #7
(female)

daisy25 HB User
Pulmonary embolism?

Hi! I have posted before on everything I am going thru. I was off of my feet for about 3 weeks but I was able to walk around probably every hour to the bathroom or upstairs so I did have movement. I had a virus and after that was gone about a week ago I started getting sharp pains in my legs and in the left side of my chest and into my arm. I went to the doctor and they did an ultrasound on my upper right leg and they didn't find anything. So I tried to calm down and my doctors keep telling me the pain in the left side of my chest is caused from stress and anxiety which I am going thru right now. But I have been feeling shortness of breath for a couple of days now with the pain so my doctor ordered a spinal ct scan to check for a pulmonary embolism? I can't have to dye with Iodine so does anybody know how all of this works? I am really scared. I am 25 years old and I don't smoke and I am not on birth control pills and there is no family history of blood clots. My doctor said I probably have chostochondrial which just means that the left side of my chest is inflammed. So she said she just wants to rule this out. But yesterday my pulse went up to 110 for an hour out of nowhere and I wasn't having a panic attack. Please help someone I am really nervous about going to this by myself and wondering what all of this means. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
(female)

daisy25 HB User
Re: Pulmonary embolism?

Also my sister had the spiral ct scan for her chest to see if she had a pulmonary embolism and she had an allergic reaction to the dye they gave her. It was had Iodine in it and her throat closed up. The hospital said they only use non-iodine dye and that they have benadryl in case there is a reaction. But my sister and I both aren't allergic to shellfish or shrimp. Is this weird? Also my doctor said to be on the safe side I should take 50mg's of predizone steroid today and 50mgs tommorow to avoid a reaction. But I talked to the Technician who will be doing my test and she said I shouldn't take all of the steroids it isn't good. She said that alot of people are fine with the non-iodine dye. Does anybody have experience with this? I am really nervous.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
(female)

daisy25 HB User
Please help me and read my post Pulmonary Embolism I am scared

Please help me and read my post I am really scared and can't calm down.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #10
(female)

Alleyway HB User

Take deep breaths.

I currently have a clot in my left lung, and one in each leg. The only symptom I had was shortness of breath. I'm 22yo. I got my P.E. around Feburary and after seeing multiple lung doctors finally got one to order a CT for me. The other doctors refused a CT because they said it was just asthma. It took 4 months to find out the shortness of breath was from a P.E. My clot is small, but it still causes shortness of breath, fluid build up, inflammation, and wheezing. I'm on coumadin, to prevent other clots from forming. Also take lasix to get the fluid off my lungs.

I was told it takes 6 months to a year for your body to dissolve the clot.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
(female)

daisy25 HB User

Thank you for writing me back! Does the spiral ct scan hurt? And does the dye burn really bad? I feel really short of breath tonight but I am scared and thinking about it so I don't know if I am doing it to myself. Are there any other symptoms I should look for before tommorow? Would I turn blue if I wasn't getting enough oxygen? Also when I went to the doctors office yesterday my pulse ox was 100 which they said was perfect. So if I had a pulmonary embolism would my pulse ox be lower?

Old 10-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
(female)

Alleyway HB User

No the CT doesn't hurt at all. You just lay there in the bed with your arms raised above your head. When the dye goes in you can feel it going in but it doesn't burn or hurt, your body may feel cold then warm. The dye may make you feel like you have to urinate, so you may want to urinate right before the test. When your doing the CT they may ask you to hold your breath for a few seconds during parts of it, they will tell you when to breath again.

After the test they should tell you to drink plenty of fluids to get the dye out of your system.

100 on the pulse ox is perfect, you want it between 95-100%. I'm not sure if it would go down from a P.E. Mine was at 92 the day I was diagnosed, but I also have asthma. The first time I went to the doctor it was at 87 and I was wheezing really bad so they put me in the hospital, but didn't find the P.E. then.

Last edited by Alleyway; 10-04-2006 at 06:15 PM.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #13
(female)

daisy25 HB User

Hi thanks for writing me back. Do you think since my sister is has had hives alot before and different allergies that I might not be allergic like she was? I am so scared that my throat is going to close or that it will be really hot when they put the dye in me that I am going to get really scared and think somethings wrong. Since this is a Spiral CT I heard that it is a really quick test. Do you know how long it lasts? Do alot of people have allergies to the noniodine dye?

Old 10-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #14
(female)

Alleyway HB User

I'm not sure about your other questions. The CT doesn't take long, about 10-15min.

If you do have an allergic reaction there will be people there to help you. Sometimes when you panic you get yourself too worked up, try to stay calm and think positive. When your doing the test try to focus on something else until the test is over.

Best of luck with your test. Let us know how it goes. Sorry I couldn't answer all your questions and help you more.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:33 AM   #15
(female)

Rsbj HB User

I had a PE a year and a half ago. I had pain down my arm and through my chest so went to ER. I thought I was having a heart attact at 29 years old!! Anyway, turned out there was a clot in my left lung that had been there for a few weeks and the pain I had was from stress. If I hadn't gone to the hospital I wouldn't have even known there was a clot there. Needless to say I am on Coumadin for life now!! ha ha I was diagnosed with Factor V Leiden deficiency and Protein C deficiency 11 years ago after a DVT in my left leg.

Closed Thread