It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

weston79 HB User
Wbc 17.4

Hi

Just had FBC w Diff. everything was in normal range except for WBC of 17.4. My question is, is this very high? what would be classified as abnormal and requiring attention and what might cause a count of this height? could it be a caused by a chest infection or is it to high for that? could it be a symptom of something more sinister?

Old 10-18-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Wbc 17.4

The number you are giving does not tell much about what is going on. It is somewhat elevated which can be a combination of infection, smoking, or something more drastic. However, without the specific percentages of each cell and how they relate to the entire WBC, not much information can be given to you. If the neutrophils and bands are elevated it can be a bacterial infection(not the only thing but one) If the lymphocytes are elevated it could be a viral infection(that the body is handling). If the Eosinophils are elevated it could be allergic reaction, or a arthritis condition. The basophils if they are elevated could also be allergic reaction or parasite involvement. But as I said in the beginning, the 17. 4 by itself is just about out of range for normal adult males or females. This can be temporary and drop back down in 3 days or so and be normal. The doctor will probably want to retest to see if there is a pattern.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
(female)

weston79 HB User
Re: Wbc 17.4

Thank you for your response.

The Dr did not indicate the effect of the overall result on the individual cells so i am none the wiser on that im afraid.

I have to go back for another CBC tomorrow; he told me he will call me if they are still elevated. He did say that it could be in response to an infection but he also commented that he was quite worried because they were markedly high for it to be an infection. This kind of freaked me out because of issues of lymph nodes a few months back which I had put to the back of my mind.

Thanks again for your advice, i guess i needed to gauge how abnormal they were and if infections normally cause them to go up to 12 or 13 or is it normal that they be 17.4 when fighting an infection.

Sorry, my mind is a whirl.

Many, many thanks.

Closed Thread