It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

DanceStar1789 HB User
Unhappy Blood Clot?

Hi I am a virtually healthy 17 year old female, but for the past three days and also from time to time before that, I have had sharp shooting pains in my lower right leg. I have no bruises or any kind of physical symptoms just underneath inside my leg. I was wondering how possible it is to have a blood clot. I do sit by my computer alot but I dont know if that would have anything to do with that. I have also felt heaviness and tightness underneath my knee. My question is could I have a blood clot? My mom thinks I am worrying too much and that when I think about it, I notice it more. I just want to put my worry to rest. Please respond back anybody that would have any idea about this. Thank you!

Old 11-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: Blood Clot?

With a blood clot in the knee there is usually swelling to the knee cap, and its vet hot to the touch with bruising. I wouldn't think this was a blood clot. It could be something to do with restless leg syndrome or tightening of your calf muscles. But do see your Doc to be certain ok?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
(female)

DanceStar1789 HB User

Thank you for your advice. Actually I was at the doctor today for another reason. I have an ear infection and a bad head cold and I needed to go get an antiobiotic and while i was there i mentioned about my leg but he felt that it was nothing to worry about since I have no brusing or lumps in my leg. And there is no visible swelling. My leg is hot but so is my whole body because I have a slight fever so I do not think it has anything to do with my leg. Thank you for your advice again and if my leg doesnt feel better by Friday I will be going back to the doctor.

Thanks again,,

Old 11-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi Dance. Your welcome hun. Ow I feel for you with ear infections. I've just got over one myself (in both ears). Hope your better soon. x

Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceStar1789
Hi I am a virtually healthy 17 year old female, but for the past three days and also from time to time before that, I have had sharp shooting pains in my lower right leg. I have no bruises or any kind of physical symptoms just underneath inside my leg. I was wondering how possible it is to have a blood clot. I do sit by my computer alot but I dont know if that would have anything to do with that. I have also felt heaviness and tightness underneath my knee. My question is could I have a blood clot? My mom thinks I am worrying too much and that when I think about it, I notice it more. I just want to put my worry to rest. Please respond back anybody that would have any idea about this. Thank you!
Hi: I've been tested for blood clots many times and I'll tell you the syptoms that I experience. Swelling and intense pain, that sometimes moves around, I never had any bruising, just the above, but remember everyone is different so a symptom for you is just that "for you" and may not apply to others.

First have you had any semi recent surgeries? If so were you given a med called cryoprecipitate, or DDAVP? Both of these are meds to clot blood before and after surgery. Another possibility is do you have family members who've had problems with blood clots? Have you had to spend some extended time in bed for some reason? Inactivity can cause this, but it's usually associated with post op bed rest. Also, were you ever given Heparin to prevent blood clots where you might have stopped taking it for some reason? I had a warm/hot sensation with each of my blood clot scares, but with each test they didn't find one single blood clot after I had major back surgery.

If you can answer no to most of these questions then you probably don't have a blood clot, but I'm not a dr. and there could be other problems that I didn't mention that could cause this. The test they do for clots is relatively simple if you want it, but your dr would have to make the decision based on the above and many other possibilities.

It also sounds like it 'might' be some kind of leg problem/injury, have you had an x-ray of the area? Sitting at a computer causes all sorts of joint, muscle, nerve, leg and back problems, so it could be a matter of not breaking up your sitting with at least 5 to 10 minutes of strecthing/walking every hour or sitting in a chair that has little to no support on your back. Our bodies WEREN'T designed to sit for extended periods of time with out the "allowed" OSHA work breaks on these sypmtoms. You should at least take a walking and strecthing break every hour throughout the day, check with your employer how often you are allowed to do this.

The most important thing to do is "have" you doc check it out. No pain is normal unless you are doing something specifically to cause it, which it doesn't sound like you are, and even then your dr needs to know what's going on.

Good Luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 11-08-2006 at 07:21 PM.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
(female)

DanceStar1789 HB User

Thanks so much for all your help. My leg still hurts but there doesnt seem to be any serious symptoms. I think it could just be stress and other muscler problems. But I will get it checked out if my symptoms get worse. And no i havent had any recent surgery or medication.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
(female)

ariesgirl75 HB User

You're a very lucky person not to have had a blood clot. In late May 2006 I had your exact symptoms and did not go to the doctor. I thought that the pain was because I was running around all day to get ready for my sister's bridal shower.

Two days later, my right leg was completely red and swollen. I had DVT (deep vein thrombosis), a blood clot in my right leg. I went to the emergency room, and they quickly worked on me because they know how serious this is. A month later the clot traveled to my right lung, PE (pulmonary embolism).

Take care of yourself.

If you are ever unsure about anything going on in your body, please see your doctor.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
(female)

ariesgirl75 HB User

I forgot to mention that when I got the blood clots, I was on ortho evra birth control patch, never smoked in my life, and had not had any surgeries.

Old 11-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
(female)

DanceStar1789 HB User

Hey thanks for all your responses. Just a question.....what were your symptoms when you had the blood clot travel to your right lung? and I was just wondering how old you are? My leg seems to be better but now I have this sort of tingling in my back towards my shoulder blade. Its not any pain or anything just a tingling. Everybody has been telling me it could be from how long I sit at my computer and that my blood just isnt circulating good because of how long I sit down. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #10
(female)

loveshinesthru HB User

my clot in my lung caused me to have pain in my chest and shortness of breath.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Sit on a foam pad & use a different height chair. Start with one higher since most chairs a too low. If no higher chairs use a couple of pillows to sit on.

I have that problem when sitting for an hour in a chair that is too low.

Closed Thread