It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User
Question Strange symptoms that arent explained by my blood clot. Please help?!

Hello, I know this may be somewhat long, but I am really hoping someone may recognize the symptoms I describe! I figured I would take a shot and see if anyone might know what these symptoms are or have experience with seeing them before! The last two months, I have been intermittently getting what I can only describe as a strange "motteled red/purple splotchiness" on both of my arms, mostly around the underside of the bicep, tricep, and under the forearms up to my palms which are also red/purpleish and "splotchy." Also, I have been having episodes of fatigue where I feel extremely tired even if I had a decent 6+ hours sleep.

In trying to find out what the cause was, I had an ultrasound/doppler test done because I had had a blood clot in the past, in my SC vein near the neck/left arm. I found out last week that I most probably have another blood clot in the exact same spot, or possibly a collapsing vein in that same spot. However, it is not fully blocking the vein as I am getting some blood flow thru that vein. Here is the question:

When I went to the Vascular surgeon, he told me that the "Rash" (as he called it, since it was showing slightly when I went to the office) wouldnt be on BOTH arms if it was caused by the blood clot, and that I shouldnt be getting chronic fatigue from it, either. When I asked my Primary about this, I was told that the fatigue COULD be from the clot, although the red/purple splochiness on both arms seemed weird since it should be on the one arm, not both. It doesnt make sense to me, either, and the only other thing that popped into my head, was recently I had gone to a dentist who cleaned my teeth and said I probably had some bacteria under the gums from not getting a cleaning in so long. So I thought perhaps this caused some kind of infection in my bloodstream or something, since none of us knew that I had a bad vein or a blood clot at that time. Other than that, or possible Liver problems(?), I have absolutely no idea what is causing the red/purple splotchies on my arms, or this fatigue that is becoming a major obstacle in my life!?!

If anyone has any ideas, I would be extremely appreciative for any possibilities!! Thank You so very much!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
(female)

Valentine53 HB User
Re: Strange symptoms that arent explained by my blood clot. Please help?!

Ask your Drs to test you for Factor V Leiden,or other clotting disorders. DVTs[vein clots] are not the same as arterial clots. Go to a Hemo Dr. and get this genetic testing done. I hope this helps you get a diagnosis on your problem!

Old 11-17-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User

Thank you for the reply Valentine!

What is Factor V Leiden? I assume by what you said it is a genetic predisposition to blood clots, but could it also account for the other symptoms I listed? I will have to add that to the list, to ask the Vascular surgeon when I see him next.

The other symptoms are driving me crazy---not only by the symptoms themselves---but also this NOT KNOWING why I am feeling this way is even worse! I dont know what the red/purpleish rash-like stuff is that goes on my arms, or why I have been feeling so tired lately, or why my eyes seem to have been on "permanent-twitch" along with the rest of this stuff. Could the Factor V do that stuff, too? Do you have that Factor V yourself, Valentine? If so, what other symptoms do people who have it, get?

Thanks for any help, or ideas that might help me figure out what is wrong with me! Or if anyone else has ever heard of or experienced symptoms like I described, PLEASE let me know!?!?

Last edited by Phlox; 11-17-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
(female)

Valentine53 HB User

Yes,Phlox. I was diagnosed last January,pretty much by accident. I developed a large clot in my jugular vein as a result of a PICC line that had been inserted in my left upper arm. In my case,I have DVTs,not arterial clots. Most FVL pts develop DVTs,and they are different than PEs because they are in the vein,not the arteries.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
(female)

Valentine53 HB User

Phlox,my own suggestion would be for you to get to a Hemo-Oncologist. The Vascular Dr. just wanted to try and do a vein re-section. He also said that the FVL was "no big deal". It IS a big deal,and you need to find out what is going on with your health. I hope this can help you try to figure things out. Fatigue? Yes. Splotchy skin, Yes. Get tested by the Hemo Dr. Good luck to you,Phlox. You don't want any more clots.FVL is a genetic clotting disorder,and you may have other issues because of it. I started on 4mgs of Coumadin,but it made my colon bleed. Now I am on 40mg injections of Lovenox everyday,and feel a little better.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
(male)

Sisyphus3 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Strange symptoms that arent explained by my blood clot. Please help?!

Look up "livedo reticularis" ... see if that isn't what's on your arms.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User
Thumbs up Re: Strange symptoms that arent explained by my blood clot. Please help?!

Thank you for the replies! Sisyphus- I looked up the reticulitis, and the description sounded like it was possible for the mottled redness on the under-side of my forearms, but the images were very extreme looking. I am not sure if that is because they intentionally showed images of more extreme cases, or if what I have is (if that is even what it is) just started about 2 months ago...? I will have to ask, although the pictures seemed a little different than what mine appear. On my arms, the mottled redness does rather seem more like a solid redness than the web-like pictures I saw...I wonder if they all look that way (again, Im going by the pictures I saw on the internet)? And my viens, like the viens that you can see that go from the underside of your elbow to your palm are blue, but more and more of them are becoming visible, viens that I didnt even know that I had I can now see fully all on the underside of my forearms. Some of the symptoms sounded like Reticulitis, but Im not sure about all the veins becoming visible, and I know its not "spider viens" or the fat/visibility issue. I have considered possible Liver issues, though, since I have had problems with my Liver in the past. Not sure if that could be a symptom of that though...?

And Valentine---I know EXACTLY what you mean about the Doctors. The Vascular Surgeon I am seeing is exactly the same way, he acts as if nothing is "a big deal" either, and its basically a little TOO easy-going for me. I understand he is trying to not have me going around worried, but he makes things sound like everything is peachy-keen, when obviously they are not. He is checking my left SC veins on friday, but he still cant explain what he calls the "rash" on my forearms, and doesnt seem to much care, either. I understand, too, that it may or may not be his area of expertise, but since it does seem blood-related I am a little taken aback by his cavalier attitude.

Sure they deal with this stuff everyday---in fact on my last appt his office was so packed people were waiting OUTSIDE!---but as you say (and you are right), this clotting business IS serious, and I had already decided to seek another opinion no matter what he tells me after the Vein tests. I remember when I was in the hospital with my first acute blood clot---my left arm was blue and swollen---and he said he didnt think it was even necessary to test me for predispositions to blood clots. Well, I was very young then, and with the way he is acting now despite another clot, I realize that he just might be a little too cavalier for my taste. Im not saying I want a doctor that fosters fear, but I dont like the notion of my repeating blood clots coming back being seen by him as "no big deal." PE is NOT my idea of "no big deal" so I know what you mean. BTW, you know what they call a doctor that graduates dead last, at the bottom of their class? They call them "doctor." Maybe they should implement a ranking system for them, LOL! :P

Anyways, thank you for mentioning the Hemo-Oncologist, I am going to see if there is one somewhere in my area, and I hope that you, too, can find a Doctor that doesnt see frequent blood clots as "no big deal." I will let you know what happens, and please let me know what happens with your situation? I also need to ask about the reticulitis that Sisyphus mentioned, since I noticed today in fact that I can see more viens becoming visible under my forearms than I could see even yesterday. Although, I can already hear this "Dr." dismissing it before I finish my question, or without considering even a bloodtest. Hmm....we'll see, I guess. God Bless!

Last edited by Phlox; 11-28-2006 at 09:48 PM.

Closed Thread