It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User
question about a blood disorder.

i have a question if any one can answer it i would be very appricated.o.k. when i was 7 i had a blood platelet deseise that caused my white and red blood cells to have a problem co/habitating. and it had somthing to do with my platlets. i had bruiseing all over me like i had been beat. and i had the measles only they went into my blood stream instead of coming out on the out side of my skin.i remember them taking out bone marrow [i guess they were taking it out. they had to hold me down i remember that]. i had to be in the dark in my hospital room. i have no clue how long i was in there. i remember my brother had the german measles and he was at home. my sister was the only healthy one. randy and i are 2 years apart and barbara and i are 5 years and 1 week apart.i really dont remember much about it . thats about it. does any one have any ideas? thanks susan kay carter

Old 01-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User
Re: question about a blood disorder.

i have had this question on this board for a while can anybody answer my question?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Susan Kay,
Does ITP ring a bell for you? My platelet cells are attacked by my own antibodies. The whole name is Immune Thrombocytopenia Purpura. I think some do describe it as a coating on the cells that tag them for destruction.

When my platelet count goes very low, I have bruises everywhere - and tiny red dots where my clothes rub me - those red dots are called petechaie.

When my counts are down I get bad joint pain, fatigue and terrible headaches. The way to test for this conditon is first a Complete Blood Count with Platelet test. Then, if the count is low, they will rule out other conditions.

Does that sound familiar?
Best,
Jill

Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User

hi j.l. i wish it did i thank you for your in/put. i was so young and of course my parents didnt tell me any thing. and i lost my mom in sept.06 suddley and daddy has no answers so i am curious and interestedand wondering if my anemeia has any thing at all to do with when i had this. i stay so tired and aven if i have had a full nights sleep i still am tired. so i will ask dr. mike sewell when i go seehim on the 26th. i guess i should ask him what my blood count is and what might plattlet count is. and ask him about this what i had when i was 7. thanks for your help and in the mean time i am going to look up that word thank you.susankay

Old 01-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Susan,
If your doctor does bloodwork, make sure he runs a complete blood count with platelets. A normal blood count doesn't include the platelets and that's what the trouble is.

Your fatigue could be anemia or ITP. Joint pain and headaches are also part of both, so only a dr. will know by blood tests.

Also, I will tell you that it is possible to have ITP, and not have a normal count, but not have to do any treatments. If this is what you have, let me know, and I can tell you more about my experiences.
Best,
Jill

Old 01-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

susan kay HB User

o.k. i will and thanks i go see him on the 26th so he probly will i am going to tell him about me being tired all the time your name for it i looked it up and i have some of those symtoms. so i will lwt you know. susan kay

Closed Thread