It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

ncmtgl HB User
calcified blood clot

Has anyone ever heard of this? My son had spinal surgery last month and the other day find a small pea size hard bump in his vein on his arm, just above the area where the IV went into his hand. He went to his regular GP today and he said it was a blood clot that had calcium form over it. He said it was nothing to worry about or he could have it cut out. The thought of a blood clot scares me, does this sound right?
Norma

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
(female)

ForrestGunt HB User
Re: calcified blood clot

They are called phleboliths and are very common although ususally more so in the plevic region.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

NewYawk HB User
Re: calcified blood clot

I too developed a clot from an IV. I went to the E.R. for a bad Gastroenteritis/Flu. They administered Fluids for nausea and Antibiotic medication through IV, i then was released a few hours later and went home. Two days later, my arm was red and swollen. I went to my doctor who prescribed me an Antibiotic and told me it was Cellulitis. A week later i noticed a hard painful bump which was then told it may be a clot. I had a Venous Doppler Ultrasound done and they found I now have developed, SVT or Superficial Vein Thrombosis and the pain was Phlebitis. I was told it is not in my Deep Vein and is not serious, not to worry. Just to apply warm compresses and take an Anti Inflamatory (Naproxen) to take away the inflamation and pain and it will desolve in a week or two. The Vascular surgeon also told me that if was in the leg and if its in a Deep Vein then there is cause for concern.
After 3 weeks my arm pain and swelling subsided a little. I then noticed another bump that hurt even more, not just at the IV site, but to the middle of the forearm as well. I then had a second Venous Doppler Ultrasound done and it showed i had more clots,but was told still they were only in the Superficial veins and only required the warm compresses and should go away, or i could have my vein removed! I was like, WHAT?!! No way! I will keep trying the warm compresses! I'm not getting my veins removed! This happened December 16th 2006 (last month) and til today January 26th 07, it still hasn't disolved. I also have Anemia which prevents me from taking a blood thinner like Heprin or Coumadin, if i ever had to. It's been a month and a half and I don't know what's gonna happen next. I get scared. I just hope the compresses will disolve them in time. I wish your son well too.

Last edited by NewYawk; 01-26-2007 at 02:23 PM.

Closed Thread