It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
(female)

NewYawk HB User
Red face SVT (Superficial Vein Thrombosis) in Forearm,from IV in E.R.

I developed a clot from an IV. I went to the E.R. for a bad Gastroenteritis/Flu. They administered Fluids for nausea and Antibiotic medication through IV, i then was released a few hours later and went home. Two days later, my arm was red and swollen. I went to my doctor who prescribed me an Antibiotic and told me it was Cellulitis. A week later i noticed a hard painful bump which was then told it may be a clot. I had a Venous Doppler Ultrasound done and they found I now have developed, SVT or Superficial Vein Thrombosis and the pain was Phlebitis. I was told it is not in my Deep Vein and is not serious, not to worry. Just to apply warm compresses and take an Anti Inflamatory (Naproxen) to take away the inflamation and pain and it will desolve in a week or two. The Vascular surgeon also told me that if was in the leg and if its in a Deep Vein then there is cause for concern.
After 3 weeks my arm pain and swelling subsided a little. I then noticed another bump that hurt even more, not just at the wrist, IV site, but to the middle of the forearm as well. I then had a second Venous Doppler Ultrasound done and it showed i had more clots,but was told still they were only in the Superficial veins and only required the warm compresses and should go away, or i could have my vein removed! I was like, WHAT?!! No way! I will keep trying the warm compresses! I'm not getting my veins removed! This happened December 16th 2006 (last month) and til today January 26th 07, it still hasn't disolved. I also have Anemia which prevents me from taking a blood thinner like Heprin or Coumadin, if i ever had to. It's been a month and a half and I don't know what's gonna happen next. I get scared. I just hope the compresses will disolve them in time. Anyone with SVT in the arm? (Not DVT) And does this ever disolve? Thanks for reading.

Last edited by NewYawk; 01-26-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
(male)

rainbird2 HB User
Re: SVT (Superficial Vein Thrombosis) in Forearm,from IV in E.R.

Hi NewYawk,
My wife has a similar situation..Superficial Thromo occurred in right lower arm last june after she suffered a break. This was treated in a similar fashion .Celebrex and other painkillers .She suffered no swelling just a throbbing pain . Diagnosed by D/Ultrasound. However in October,2006. a second thrombo appeared in her left lower leg un related? no trauma no cause. Assurred cannot form Deep Vein Thrombo. What do you reckon. After further ultra sounds on chest/lower abdomin,xrays,ct scans and Pet scans ..has several clots in lung. Now being treated with wafarin and several treatments with clexane.
We are still searching for a cause and solution. We do not know where to go next? any suggestions and good luck
Paul

Old 01-31-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

NewYawk HB User

Last edited by NewYawk; 01-31-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
(female)

NewYawk HB User

Hello, I am sorry about whats happened to you wife. It was kinda similar because it was in the arm, but I read and was told if a superficial vein thrombosis forms in a limb from a break, it is more serious to go into a Deep vein, because of the lack of blood flow from being in a cast and not being moved around. Was her arm in a cast? If so, how long? I did have redness and swelling 6 weeks ago when it happened,then the pain came after. I'm still putting warm compresses on to soothe the aching, that is better than it was, and was told this should resolve. I asked my Vascular surgeon, who is well known here in New York, if what i have now ( Phlebitis in the wrist and resolving in the forearm) can go to the lungs. He told me "No" only if in the Leg from a superficial vein to a deep vein in the Leg, can travel to the lung. He did 3 Venous doppler ultrasounds and the 3rd yesterday (Jan 30th) and Thank god none was found in my upper deep system. But he now looks at me like I'm crazy for asking like 10xs if this is gonna go into the deep system.
He refered me to a neurologist, in case the IV fluids got into the tissue causing the mild aches I am still having. I am also Anemic which prevents me from being on blood thinners if i needed to.
I don't understand how your wife's superficial clot from a break in her arm, could have gone to her lung. ?? I was told that only if in the Legs they can travel to the lung. They should of put her on blood thinners when she noticed it in her leg. If you don't mind me asking, how old she is? Did she have any symptoms of redness or swelling in her Leg to warn her before it reached her lung? Also, didn't she have Headache? redness or swollen leg? fevers? or shortness of breath in the months before she found out while her arm was broken? or was it a routine check and no warning signs? I suggest a good Vascular surgeon and frequent check-ups. This is affecting me emotionally and i worry day and night to the point that now the worry is causing me to be depressed. I'm so scared. I hope your wife is ok. This is a very scary situation.

Last edited by NewYawk; 01-31-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
(female)

Karen3413 HB User

In July 2006 I was on a trip in South Africa were I had to have an IV inserted in the top of my wrist for a stomach virus (anti-nasceua meds). To this day the area is so sore, and it feels like a toothpick is under my skin and inside my vein! Every doc I have seen keeps telling me to use a hot compress but it doesn't work. After reading this and other stories I am convinced it is Phlebitis. If anyone knows a doctor that specializes in this condition, please let me know. I am in Phoenix, AZ. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #6
(female)

scottcj HB User

Hi, I have a similar problem with the vein on the side of my wrist from an IV inserted for gallbladder surgery. I am petrified of a blood clot. The doctor told me the same thing that it is superficial phlebitis but that scared me even worse. It was just sore and hard but last night after applying the heating pad, it started to get a numbing kind of feeling and has more or less stayed with me all through the day today. I am 2 weeks post op as of this past Monday.
I also developed a UTI and he put me on Bactrim as of yesterday.
Should I be worried? If the numbness doesn't subside by tomorrow I am going to call him and express my concerns and suggest a doppler.
Thanks

Old 07-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
(female)

mindasch HB User

I too developed a thrombosis on top of my wrist after IV/surgery. It was quite painful, swollen and hard but went away after a month or two. I worried myself sick thinking it would cause a much bigger problem, but its now been a year and no problems from it.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

SVTs are common with IVs, and usually what causes them to need to be changed in the hospital. It's true that since it's not a deeper vein that the chances of anything critical happening are small (have had many SVTs, with IVs, and also in my leg, as well as the more serious- and should have been lethal pulmonary emboli- was massive and slow growing). Warm compresses are good for the first few days (but do what your doc says)...how about ibuprofen or naproxen?? Are those ok? They might help....keeping the arm elevated (or at least not dangling) might also help with the discomfort.... hope it gets better soon- that's a long stretch for something like that to keep going....

Closed Thread